Officially incorporated on June 18, 1906, the city is named after the camas lily, a plant with an onion-like bulb prized by Native Americans. At the west end of downtown Camas is a large Georgia-Pacific paper mill from which the high school teams get their name, “the Papermakers”. A paper mill was first established in the city in 1883 with the support of Henry Pittock, a wealthy entrepreneur from England who had settled in Portland, Oregon, where he published The Oregonian.
Pittock’s LaCamas Colony bought 2600 acres in 1883, forming the Columbia River Paper Company the following year to begin production in 1885, before merging with Oregon City‘s Crown Paper Company to form Crown Columbia Paper in 1905. Converting from steam to electricity in 1913, it then merged with Willamette Paper in 1914 and then again in 1928 with Zellerbach Paper to become the largest paper company on the west coast, Crown Zellerbach. Changing from newsprint to toilet tissue in 1930, it temporarily produced shipyard parts during the Second World War. In 1950 it was the first factory to produce folded paper napkins.”Crown Z” was the area’s biggest employer in 1971, with 2,643 of approximately 3,700 Clark County paper-mill workers. Various other mergers took place, until Georgia-Pacific‘s mill was the sole property of Koch Industries. In 2018, Koch announced plans to lay off approximately 200-300 workers, shutting down all equipment related to communications paper, fine paper conversion and pulping operations.
The city is about 20 miles (32 km) east of Portland. Historically, the commercial base of the city was almost solely the paper mill; however, the diversity of industries has been enhanced considerably in recent years by the influx of several white-collar, high-tech companies. These include Hewlett-Packard, Sharp Microelectronics, Linear Technology, WaferTech and Underwriters Labs. Annual events include the summer “Camas Days”, as well as other festivals and celebrations.
There are numerous parks in Camas and within the Camas area, including:
Lacamas Park encompasses Round Lake and runs against SR 500 on its west side. Across SR 500 is Lacamas Lake. The park is open year-round from 7 a.m. to dusk and includes barbecues, a play ground, trails around the park and lake, and access to the Camas Potholes.
The park features a network of trails which lead to the Camas Potholes and the Camas lily fields. A 1.2-mile (1.9 km) trail that loops around Round Lake starts and finishes near the parking lot. The park is a popular destination for Geocachers, as it contains numerous caches scattered around the park. Young children may play in a small playground on the west side of the park. Tables are provided for picnicking, as are waste receptacles designed to receive hot coals from grilling. Bathrooms are available on a seasonal basis only.
Heritage Park has facilities for launching boats into Lacamas Lake, a playground for young children, lots of open field, and small trails through the trees. The parking lot is very large and includes numerous long parking stalls to accommodate vehicles with trailers.
There were 6,619 households of which 46.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.7% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 20.8% were non-families. 16.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.91 and the average family size was 3.27.
The median age in the city was 36.9 years. 31.1% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.1% were from 25 to 44; 26.8% were from 45 to 64; and 8.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.6% male and 50.4% female.
There are many historic landmarks throughout the city that you can access them by PDX shuttle airport from airport. The oldest standing structure is the Joel Palmer House, built in 1852 or 1857. It has been on the National Register of Historic Places since March 16, 1987, and has been painstakingly restored. Since 1996 it has been home to a four-star restaurant of the same name as the historic house.
Nearby, in Courthouse Square Park, is the Fort Yamhill Block House, which was brought to Dayton in 1911 to prevent its demolition. The structure had been built by Willamette Valley settlers on Fort Hill in the Grand Ronde Valley in 1855 and 1856. John G. Lewis, a citizen of Dayton, secured permission from authorities to move the logs to Dayton, where they were reassembled.
The City of Dayton is located in the heart of the beautiful Willamette Valley. It is situated just off Hwy 18 between McMinnville and Newberg and is centrally located 55 miles from the Pacific Ocean, 24 miles from the State Capital and 60 miles from Mt Hood that covered by PDX shuttle airport.
Rich in history, Dayton was founded in 1850 by General Joel Palmer and Andrew Smith. Incorporated in 1880, the history of Dayton dates back to Oregon’s beginning. The current population is 2635.
PDX shuttle airport find Dayton was the first city in the State of Oregon to be designated as a national historic resource. The numerous homes and buildings on the National Historic Register are easily viewed on a walking tour within the city. For walking tour brochures contact the City of Dayton at (503) 864-2221 or stop by City Hall at 416 Ferry Street, Dayton Oregon, Monday thru Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,534 people, 797 households, and 624 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,016.7 inhabitants per square mile (1,164.8/km2). There were 843 housing units at an average density of 1,003.6 per square mile (387.5/km2) these are reason that PDX shuttle airport cover Dayton. The racial makeup of the city was 79.2% White, 0.5% African American, 1.0% Native American, 0.9% Asian, 14.7% from other races, and 3.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 29.9% of the population.
There were 797 households of which 48.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, 14.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 21.7% were non-families. 15.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.18 and the average family size was 3.52.
The median age in the city was 32.8 years. 32.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.6% were from 25 to 44; 22.9% were from 45 to 64; and 10.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.6% male and 50.4% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,119 people, 641 households, and 516 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,935.4 people per square mile (1,136.3/km²). There were 656 housing units at an average density of 908.7 per square mile (351.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 80.70% White, 1.56% African American, 1.18% Native American, 0.52% Asian, 11.80% from other races, and 4.25% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 26.19% of the population.
There were 641 households out of which 49.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.4% were married couples living together, 15.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.5% were non-families. 15.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.31 and the average family size was 3.66.
In the city, the population was spread out with 36.7% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 30.2% from 25 to 44, 17.7% from 45 to 64, and 7.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 96.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,556, and the median income for a family was $43,047. Males had a median income of $32,500 versus $23,125 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,140. About 11.7% of families and 14.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.6% of those under age 18 and 12.5% of those age 65 or over.
Most famous historical places that you can find and visit by PDX shuttle airport in Dayton are here: Blockhouse
The Fort Yamhill Blockhouse is located in the NW corner of Courthouse Square Park and was orginally moved from Grand Ronde Valley in 1911 to honor Joel Palmer founder of Dayton and Superintendant of Indian Affairs.
Courthouse Square Park
Sometimes known as the Dayton City Park,Courthouse Square Park is the home of several historical items, including the Fort Yamhill Blockhouse, Bandstand and Fountain, a World War II Cannon and a replica of the old Fire Bell.
The Brookside Cemetery is located on Third Street just off Mill Street in Dayton, it is the resting ground of many Dayton Pioneers including Joel Palmer, founder of Dayton.
Founders of Dayton
General Joel Palmer and Andrew Smith
Settlers of Dayton’s Early History
Information regarding the Settlers of Dayton’s History was taken from the Dayton Centennial 1880-1980 Booklet. Copies of the Dayton Centennial can be purchased at Dayton City Hall.
Floods of the Dayton Area
The Yamhill River and the Dayton Town area have a history with flooding.
Steamboats of the Yamhill River
The Yamhill River is an important part of Dayton’s history, providing transportation for Dayton’s residents and the transportation of freight for local farmers and businesses.
Odd Fellows Cemetery (IOOF)
A listing of those buried in the International Order of the Odd Fellows Cemetery, located on Thompson Lane just outside of Dayton off highway 221.
Information was taken from the “Dayton Centennial 1880 – 1980”.
There were 553 households of which 57.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.5% were married couples living together, 13.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 7.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 19.5% were non-families. 14.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.21 and the average family size was 3.54.
The median age in the city was 29.5 years. 37.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.4% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 31.7% were from 25 to 44; 19.2% were from 45 to 64; and 3.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.6% male and 49.4% female.
On January 9, 1912, the community received its name with the opening of a post office named Aloha; the area had previously been known as Wheeler Crossing. According to Oregon Geographic Names, the origin of the name Aloha is disputed. Some sources say it was named by Robert Caples, a railroad worker, but it is unknown why the name was chosen. In 1983 Joseph H. Buck claimed that his uncle, the first postmaster, Julius Buck, named the office “Aloah” after a small resort on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin. Supposedly the last two letters were transposed by the Post Office during the application process. The local pronunciation, however, has remained Ah-LO-wa rather than Ah-LO-ha.
The community attempted to incorporate in 1984, but the regional boundary commission halted the effort after determining the community could not provide the needed municipal services of a city.
In 2012, a public library was opened in space within a strip mall shopping center on Farmington Road at Kinnaman Road (anchored by Bales Thriftway). Named the Aloha Community Library, it was established by the non-profit Aloha Community Library Association and is staffed by volunteers. At the time of its opening, it had about 4,500 books that PDX shuttle airportone of best way to find there.
As of the census of 2000, there were 41,741 people, 14,228 households, and 10,841 families residing in the community. The population density was 5,660.5 people per square mile (2,186.7/km²). There were 14,851 housing units at an average density of 2,013.9 per square mile (778.0/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 79.40% White, 1.35% African American, 0.78% Native American, 7.69% Asian, 0.37% Pacific Islander, 6.70% from other races, and 3.72% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.93% of the population. There were 14,228 households out of which 42.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.4% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.8% were non-families. 16.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.92 and the average family size was 3.28.
In the community, the population is spread out with 29.8% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 35.0% from 25 to 44, 20.3% from 45 to 64, and 5.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 101.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.8 males.
The median income for a household in the community is $52,299, and the median income for a family was $56,566. Males had a median income of $40,369 versus $29,921 for females. The per capita income for the community is $19,685. About 5.6% of families and 7.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.4% of those under age 18 and 5.2% of those age 65 or over.
Beaverton schools in the area include Aloha High School and the International School of Beaverton. Aloha is served by Mountain View and Five Oaks middle schools and Aloha-Huber Park, Beaver Acres, Cooper Mountain, Errol Hassell, Hazeldale, and Kinnaman elementary schools.
There are five accessible sections with PDX shuttle airport in Portland, Oregon and 95 officially recognized neighborhoods, each of which is represented by a volunteer-based neighborhood association. These associations serve as the liaison between residents and the city government, as coordinated by the city’s Office of Neighborhood Involvement (ONI). The city subsequently provides funding to this “network of neighborhoods” through district coalitions, which are groupings of neighborhood associations.
Downtown Portland lies in the Southwest section between the I-405 freeway loop and the Willamette River, centered on Pioneer Courthouse Square (“Portland’s living room”). Downtown and many other parts of inner Portland have compact square blocks (200 ft [60 m] on a side) and narrow streets (64 ft [20 m] wide), a pedestrian-friendly combination you now that support all of those areas by PDX shuttle airport .
Many of Portland’s recreational, cultural, educational, governmental, business, and retail resources are concentrated downtown, including:
The south Willamette riverfront along SW Macadam Ave., over 100 acres (0.4 km²) of former industrial land. This area is undergoing redevelopment as a mixed-use, high-density neighborhood, with an anticipated 2,700 residential units and 5,000 high-tech jobs after build-out.
Northwest Portland includes the Pearl District, most of Old Town Chinatown, the Northwest District, and various residential and industrial neighborhoods. A range of streets primarily in Northwest Portland is named alphabetically from Ankeny through York (the street following York is Reed Street). The street between Wilson and York was called “X Street” until it was renamed as Roosevelt Street. Burnside Street, the “B” in the sequence, divides the Northeast and Northwest quadrants of the city from the Southeast and Southwest.
The Pearl District is a recent name for a former warehouse and industrial area just north of downtown. Many of the warehouses have been converted into lofts, and new multistory condominiums have also been developed on previously vacant land. The increasing density has attracted a mix of restaurants, brewpubs, shops, and art galleries. The galleries sponsor simultaneous artists’ receptions every month, in an event known as First Thursday.
Between the Pearl District and the Willamette is the Old Town Chinatown neighborhood. It includes Portland’s Chinatown, marked by a pair of lions at its entrance at NW 4th Ave. and W Burnside St. and home to the Portland Classical Chinese Garden. Before World War II, this area was known as Japan Town; Chinatown was previously located just south of W. Burnside St. along the riverfront.
Farther west is the compact but thriving NW 21st and 23rd Avenue restaurant and retail area, the core of the Northwest District. Parts of this area are also called Uptown and Nob Hill. Nicknames include Snob Hill and Trendy Third. The residential areas adjacent to the shopping district include the Alphabet Historic District (with large Victorian and Craftsman homes built in the years before and shortly after 1900) and a large district centered on Wallace Park. The neighborhood has a mix of Victorian-era houses, apartment buildings from throughout the 20th century, and various businesses centered on Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center. The Portland Streetcar connects Nob Hill to downtown, via the Pearl.
West of the developed areas is the northern portion of Portland’s West Hills, including the majority of extensive Forest Park and the Willamette Heights, Hillside, Sylvan, Skyline and Forest Heights neighborhoods.
North Portland is a diverse mixture of residential, commercial, and industrial areas. It includes the Portland International Raceway, the University of Portland, and massive cargo facilities of the Port of Portland. Slang-names for it include “NoPo” (classist pun, shortened from North Portland) and “the Fifth Quadrant” (for being the odd-man out from the four-cornered logic of SE, NE, SW, and NW).
North Portland is connected to the industrial area of Northwest Portland by the St. Johns Bridge, a 2,067 ft (630.0 m) long suspension bridge completed in 1931 and extensively rehabilitated in 2003-05.
During World War II, a planned development named Vanport was constructed to the north of this section between the city limits and the Columbia River. It grew to be the second largest city in Oregon, but was wiped out by a disastrous flood in 1948. Columbia Villa, another wartime housing project in the Portsmouth Neighborhood, is being rebuilt; the renewed community opened in 2005 is known as New Columbia and offers public housing, rental housing, and single family home ownership units. Since 2004, a light rail line runs along Interstate Avenue, which parallels I-5, stopping short of crossing the Columbia River.
Northeast Portland contains a diverse collection of neighborhoods. For example, while Irvington and the Alameda Ridge feature some of the oldest and most expensive homes in Portland, nearby King is a more working-class neighborhood. Because it is so large, Northeast Portland can essentially be divided ethnically, culturally, and geographically into inner and outer sections. The inner Northeast neighborhoods that surround Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. were once predominantly African American, resembling typical urban inner-city environments found in most major U.S. cities. However, the demographics are now changing due to the process of gentrification. In 2010, the King neighborhood was 25.9% Black or African-American, a 41.3% decrease since 2000. Inner Northeast includes several shopping areas, such as the Lloyd District, Alberta Arts District (Portland, Oregon) and Hollywood, and part of the affluent Irvington, Alameda, Grant Park and Laurelhurst neighborhoods and nearby developments. The city plan targets Lloyd District as another mixed-use area, with high-density residential development.
Straddling the base of the borders of North and Northeast is the Rose Quarter. It is named after the Rose Garden, home of the Portland Trail Blazers (now named the Moda Center), and also includes the Blazers’ former home, the Memorial Coliseum. The Coliseum is the home to Portland’s hockey team, the Portland Winter Hawks, of the Western Hockey League, though they often play at the Moda Center. The newest Rose Quarter tenants are the LumberJax of the National Lacrosse League. The city still holds the lease to the land and owns the Coliseum, but the Moda Center and other buildings were owned by private business interests until they went into receivership. The area is quite active during the teams’ home games, and the city hopes to extend the activity by promoting a major increase in residential units in the quarter using zoning and tax incentives.
At the base of Northeast where its border meets Southeast, an area near the Burnside Bridge has been redeveloped into a bustling nightlife and entertainment district. The area features bars like The Chesterfield and music venues like The Doug Fir Lounge. In 2006, the area was established enough to get its own nickname: LoBU.
Southeast Portland stretches from the warehouses along the Willamette through historic Ladd’s Addition to the Hawthorne and Belmont districts out to Gresham. Southeast Portland has blue-collar roots and has evolved to encompass a wide mix of backgrounds. The Hawthorne district in particular is known for its hippie/radical crowd and small sub culturally oriented shops; not far away is Reed College, whose campus expands from Woodstock Boulevard to Steele Street, and from the 28th to the 39th Avenues.
Between the 1920s and the 1960s, Southeast was home to Lambert Gardens. Southeast Portland also features Mt. Tabor, a cinder cone volcano that has become one of Portland’s more scenic and popular parks. Peacock Lane is a street known locally for lavish Christmas decorations and displays.
The one of the reason that Clackamas PDX shuttle airportchoice Oregon City was also the site of the only federal court west of the Rockies in 1849, when San Francisco, California was platted. The plat was filed in 1850 in the first plat book of the first office of records in the West Coast and is still in Oregon City.
As of August 2005, Clackamas is the first county in Oregon to have four models of governance for its communities. Like the rest of Oregon, it has cities (which are formally incorporated) and rural communities (some of which for federal purposes are considered census-designated places).
After completion of a process that began late in 1999, the county adopted an ordinance on August 11, 2005 which defined hamlets and villages. As of the November 30, 2005, deadline, three communities have submitted petitions to start the process of becoming a hamlet or a village. Boring petitioned to become a village. The communities along US 26 near Mount Hood from Brightwood to Rhododendron have petitioned to become “The Villages at Mount Hood“. Beavercreek has become a hamlet.
The first reason PDX shuttle airport choice this area as of the 2010 United States Census, there were 375,992 people, 145,790 households, and 100,866 families residing in the county. The population density was 201.0 inhabitants per square mile (77.6/km2). There were 156,945 housing units at an average density of 83.9 per square mile (32.4/km2). The racial makeup of the county was 88.2% white, 3.7% Asian, 0.8% American Indian, 0.8% black or African American, 0.2% Pacific islander, 3.1% from other races, and 3.2% from two or more races. Those of Hispanic or Latino origin made up 7.7% of the population. In terms of ancestry, 24.9% were German, 14.5% were English, 13.3% were Irish, 5.0% were Norwegian, and 4.9% were American.
Of the 145,790 households, 32.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.8% were married couples living together, 9.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 30.8% were non-families, and 24.1% of all households were made up of individuals. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 3.04. The median age was 40.6 years.
The median income for a household in the county was $62,007 and the median income for a family was $74,905. Males had a median income of $53,488 versus $39,796 for females. The per capita income for the county was $31,785. About 6.1% of families and 9.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.2% of those under age 18 and 6.2% of those age 65 or over.
In 1845, Joseph C. Avery settled a land claim at the mouth of Marys River where it flows into the Willamette River. In 1849, Avery opened a store at the site, platted the land, and surveyed a town site on his land claim, naming the community Marysville. It is possible that the city was named after early settler Mary Lloyd, but now the name is thought to be derived from French fur trappers’ naming of Marys Peak after the Virgin Mary.
In 1853, the legislative assembly changed the city’s name to Corvallis, from the Latin phrase Corvallis, meaning “heart of the valley.” Corvallis was incorporated as a city on January 29, 1857. The town served briefly as the capital of the Oregon Territory in 1855 before Salem was eventually selected as the permanent seat of state government.
Nineteenth-century Corvallis saw a three-year boom beginning in 1889, which began with the establishment of a privately-owned electrical plant by L.L. Hurd. A flurry of publicity and public and private investment followed, including construction of a grand county courthouse, planning and first construction of a new street railway, construction of a new flour mill along the river between Monroe and Jackson Avenues, and construction of the Hotel Corvallis, today known as the Julian Hotel that Corvallis to Portland shuttle supported you to find it.
In addition a carriage factory was launched in the city and the town’s streets were improved, while the size of the city was twice enlarged through annexation. Bonds were issued for a city-owned water works, a sewer system, and for public ownership of the electric pant. A publicity campaign was launched to attempt to expand the tax base through new construction for new arrivals. This effort proved mostly unsuccessful, however, and in 1892 normalcy returned, with the city saddled with about $150,000 in bonded debt.
Long-distance bus service is provided by Greyhound. It stops at the Greyhound station in downtown Corvallis (station ID: CVI.)
Local bus service is provided by Corvallis Transit System (CTS). In January 2011, the Corvallis City Council approved an additional fee on monthly water utility bills allowing all CTS bus service to become fare less. The system runs a total of eight daytime routes Monday through Saturday, covering most of the city and converging at a Downtown Transit Center. Additional commuter routes also run in the early morning and late afternoon on weekdays, and mid-morning and mid-afternoon on Saturdays. When Oregon State University is in session CTS also runs the “Beaver Bus,” a set of late-night routes running Thursday through Saturday.
Two other short-distance inter-city buses, the Linn-Benton Loop (to Albany) and the Philomath Connection, also stop at the Downtown Transit Center.
From 2010 to 2011, CTS has seen a 37.87% increase in ridership, partially as a result of going fareless and “the rising cost of fuel for individual vehicles and the desire for residents to choose more sustainable options for commuting to work, school and other activities” According to Tim Bates the Corvallis Transit System and Philomath Connection, had 3,621,387 passenger miles traveled and 85,647 gallons of fuel consumed in Fiscal Year 2011, a period that covers July 1, 2010 – June 30, 2011.This means that riders in Fiscal Year 2011 got 42.28 passenger miles per gallon.
The League of American Bicyclists gave Corvallis a gold rating as a Bicycle-Friendly Community in 2011. Also, according to the United States Census Bureau’s 2008–12American Community Survey, 11.2 percent of workers in Corvallis bicycle to work. The city of Corvallis is ranked third highest among U.S. cities for bicycle commuters, behind Key West, Florida (17.4) and Davis, California (18.6).
Eugene is named after its founder, Eugene Franklin Skinner. Until 1889, it was named Eugene City. In 1846, Skinner erected the first cabin in the area. It was used as a trading post and was registered as an official post office on January 8, 1850. At this time the settlement was known as Skinner’s Mud hole. It was relocated in 1853 and named Eugene City, but was not formally incorporated as a city until 1862. Skinner later ran a ferry service across the Willamette River where the Ferry Street Bridge now stands.
The first major educational institution in the area was Columbia College, founded a few years earlier than the University of Oregon. It fell victim to two major fires in four years, and after the second fire, the college decided not to rebuild again. The part of south Eugene known as College Hill was the former location of Columbia College. There is no college there today. 100 years later Eugene to PDX shuttlecreated for help the student.
The town raised the initial funding to start a public university, which later became the University of Oregon, with the hope of turning the small town into a center of learning. In 1872, the Legislative Assembly passed a bill creating the University of Oregon as a state institution. Eugene bested the nearby town of Albany in the competition for the state university. In 1873, community member J.H.D. Henderson donated the hilltop land for the campus, overlooking the city.
The university first opened in 1876 with the regents electing the first faculty and naming John Wesley Johnson as president. The first students registered on October 16, 1876. The first building was completed in 1877; it was named Deady Hall in honor of the first Board of Regents President and community leader Judge Matthew P. Deady. The city’s name was shortened from Eugene City to Eugene in 1889.
Eugene grew rapidly throughout most of the twentieth century, with the exception being the early 1980s when a downturn in the timber industry caused high unemployment. By 1985, the industry had recovered and Eugene began to attract more high-tech industries.
There are six Roman Catholic parishes in Eugene as well: St. Mary Catholic Church, St. Jude Catholic Church, St. Mark Catholic Church, St. Peter Catholic Church, St. Paul Catholic Church, and St. Thomas More Catholic Church.
Eugene also has a Ukrainian Catholic Church named Nativity of the Mother of God
There is a mainline Protestant contingency in the city as well—such as the largest of the Lutheran Churches, Central Lutheran near the U of O Campus and the EpiscopalChurch of the Resurrection.
The Eugene area has a sizeable LDS Church presence, with three stakes, consisting of 23 congregations (wards and branches). The Portland Oregon Temple is the nearest temple.
The greater Eugene-Springfield area also has a sizable Jehovah’s Witnesses presence with twelve Kingdom Halls, several having multiple congregations in one Kingdom Hall.
The ReconstructionistTemple Beth Israel is Eugene’s largest Jewish congregation. It was also, for many decades, Eugene’s only synagogue, until Orthodox members broke away in 1992 and formed “Congregation Ahavas Torah”.
Eugene has a community of some 140 Sikhs, who have established a Sikh temple.
The 340-member congregation of the Unitarian Universalist Church in Eugene (UUCE) purchased the former Eugene Scottish Rite Temple in May 2010, renovated it, and began services there in September 2012.
Saraha Nyingma Buddhist Temple in Eugene opened in 2012 in the former site of the Unitarian Universalist Church.
Cycling is popular in Eugene and many people commute via bicycle. Summertime events and festivals frequently have bike parking “corrals” that many times are filled to capacity by three hundred or more bikes. Many people commute to work by bicycle every month of the year. Numerous bike shops provide the finest rain gear products, running lights and everything a biker needs to ride and stay comfortable in the damp, misty climate. Bike trails take commuting and recreational bikers along the Willamette River past a scenic rose garden, along Amazon Creek, through the downtown, and through the University of Oregon campus.
In 2009, the League of American Bicyclists cited Eugene as 1 of 10 “Gold-level” cities in the U.S. because of its “remarkable commitments to bicycling.” In 2010, Bicycling magazine named Eugene the 5th most bike-friendly city in America. The U.S. Census Bureau’s annual American Community Survey reported that Eugene had a bicycle commuting mode share of 7.3% in 2011, the fifth highest percentage nationwide among U.S. cities with 65,000 people or more, and 13 times higher than the national average of 0.56%.
The 1908 Amtrak depot downtown was restored in 2004; it is the southern terminus for two daily runs of the Amtrak Cascades, and a stop along the route in each direction for the daily Coast Starlight.
Highways traveling within and through Eugene include:
Interstate 5: Interstate 5 forms much of the eastern city limit, acting as an effective, though unofficial boundary between Eugene and Springfield. To the north, I-5 leads to the Willamette Valley and Portland. To the south, I-5 leads to Roseburg, Medford, and the southwestern portion of the state. In full, Interstate 5 continues north to the Canadian Border at Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia and extends south to the Mexican border at Tijuana and San Diego.
Officer Chris Kilcullen Memorial Highway: Oregon Route 126 is routed along the Eugene-Springfield Highway, a limited-access freeway. The Eugene portion of this highway begins at an interchange with Interstate 5 and ends two miles (3 km) west at a freeway terminus. This portion of Oregon Route 126 is also signed Interstate 105, a spur route of Interstate 5. Oregon Route 126 continues west, a portion shared with Oregon Route 99, and continues west to Florence. Eastward, Oregon Route 126 crosses the Cascades and leads to central and eastern Oregon.
Randy Papé Beltline: Beltline is a limited-access freeway which runs along the northern and western edges of incorporated Eugene.
Delta Highway: The Delta Highway forms a connector of less than 2 miles (3.2 km) between Interstate 105 and Beltline Highway.
Oregon Route 99: Oregon Route 99 forks off Interstate 5 south of Eugene, and forms a major surface artery in Eugene. It continues north into the Willamette valley, parallel to I-5. It is sometimes called the “scenic route” since it has a great view of the Coast Range and also stretches through many scenic farmlands of the Willamette Valley.
Eugene is the home of Oregon’s largest publicly owned water and power utility, the Eugene Water & Electric Board (EWEB). EWEB got its start in the first decade of the 20th century, after an epidemic of typhoid found in the groundwater supply. The City of Eugene condemned Eugene’s private water utility and began treating river water (first the Willamette; later the McKenzie) for domestic use. EWEB got into the electric business when power was needed for the water pumps. Excess electricity generated by the EWEB’s hydropower plants was used for street lighting.
company has been providing transportation to and from the Portland International Airport since 1973. We pick up customers from their homes, work, and all major hotels in the Â Â Portland and suburban areas in our clean, well maintained vans.
Our vehicles are clean and smoke-free. Our drivers have outstanding driving records and knowledge of the area.
PDX shuttle airportÂ rates are very reasonable. Count on us to be fully insured and licensed, and our drivers are permitted by the city and port of Portland.
PDX shuttle airportÂ Â transport services are available 7 days a week. We recommend reservations 24 hours in advance. Payment can be made by VisaÂ®, MasterCardÂ®, American ExpressÂ®, or cash.
you may call us directly atÂ 503.760.6565Â or 866.665.6965. Our customer service hours are 8am to 10pm Pacific time.
It is our pleasure to transport you to or from Portland International Airport. We take the stress out of your journey, so you can concentrate on your work. Beaverton Airporter in Beaverton, Oregon, provides airport shuttle and ground transportation services.