The Estacada post office opened in February 1904 and the city was incorporated in May 1905. The community formed as a camp for workers building a hydroelectric dam on the nearby Clackamas River that was to supply Portland with electricity. At the time, the river was relatively inaccessible by road, forcing the Oregon Power Railway Company to build a railway to the vicinity of the river to transport crews to the river for the construction of the dam. After the construction of the Hotel Estacada, the town became a weekend destination on the railroad line for residents of Portland. During the week, the train carried freight and work crews to and from Portland. Following the development of the dams, the city became a hub for the logging industry. In the early 20th century, a trolley line connected the town with downtown Portland. The railway line has been removed and there is no longer rail service to Estacada.
The origin of the city’s name is disputed. One explanation is that the city’s name is a corruption of the names of a civic leader’s daughters, Esther and Katie, however, there is no evidence of their existence. Another theory states that:
Estacado is a Spanish word and it means “staked out” or “marked with stakes”. It was first suggested by George Kelly as a name for the town site at a meeting of the Oregon Water Power Townsite Company directors on December 27, 1903. Kelly had selected the name at random from a U.S. map showing Llano Estacado in Texas. If Kelly’s suggestion had not been drawn from the hat, the town could have been named Rochester, Lowell or Lynn. The name Estacada is also used in Arizona.
There were 1,062 households of which 35.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.8% were married couples living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 36.7% were non-families. 30.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.16.
The median age in the city was 35.7 years. 26.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.2% were from 25 to 44; 24.6% were from 45 to 64; and 12.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.8% male and 50.2% female.
TriMet‘s route 30 from Clackamas stops at Estacada City Hall Monday through Saturday. Sandy Area Metro (SAM) extends bus service from City Hall to Sandy on weekdays, with connections to Gresham, connecting with TriMet lines and MAX light rail there and you can use PDX shuttle airport instead of bus.
Molalla was named after the Molalla River, which in turn was named for the Molala, a Native American tribe that inhabited the area. William H. Vaughan took up a donation land claim in the area in 1844. Molalla post office was established in 1850, near the site of Liberal, and was discontinued in 1851. The post office was reestablished in 1868 and it ran until 1874, then was reestablished in 1876, which is when it was probably placed at the present location of Molalla.
Since the late 1990s the city has been experiencing a surge in growth and expansion in the residential sector. A number of business franchises have located in Molalla since 2000. In 2005, Molalla installed its first stoplight, at the intersection of Oregon Route 211 and Oregon Route 213, because of the traffic brought by the increased business activity.
Molalla is located in the foothills of the Cascade Range, near the Mount Hood National Forest, 15 miles (24 km) south of Oregon City and 13 miles from Interstate 5. Molalla is surrounded by farms and rural residential development. There are many rock quarries, and thousands of acres of private timberlands, that feed natural resource materials into the economy. Several of the tree farms are managed for totally maintained and sustained forest.
There were 2,857 households of which 44.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.9% were married couples living together, 12.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 27.7% were non-families. 22.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.82 and the average family size was 3.30.
The median age in the city was 31.4 years. 30.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 31.4% were from 25 to 44; 19.6% were from 45 to 64; and 9.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.4% male and 50.6% female.
Molalla’s principal road links are Oregon routes 211 and 213. Route 213, heading north, links Molalla to Oregon City and Portland. Heading south, Route 213 connects Molalla to Silverton and Salem. Route 211, which intersects Route 213, connects the city to Canby and Woodburn to the west, and Colton, Estacada, and Sandy to the east.
Molalla does not have a rail link within city limits anymore, PDX shuttle airport know although it was formerly served by the Oregon Pacific Railroad. The Oregon Pacific tracks now end at Liberal, 3 miles (5 km) to the north. The closest Amtrak station is in Oregon City.
Molalla is the home of the Molalla Buckeroo rodeo (it began in 1913, the same time as the city was founded) and the Apple Festival. The Pacific Coast Freestyle Championships, a model airplane aerobatic tournament, has been held there for 14 years in late July. Several Latino rodeos are held at the rodeo facility by “La Fortuna” in spring, mid-summer, late summer and fall, bringing tens of thousands of Latino families to celebrate in the community. The Fourth of July Parade, sponsored by the Molalla Area Chamber of Commerce, often sports 50,000 spectators. Many other minor festivals—Second Friday, Halloween on Main Street, Christmas in the City, Spring Fling, Easter Egg Hunt in the Park, Fishing Derbies, Trail Rides, The Brew Fest, The North Valley High School Rodeo—all add to the quality of life in Molalla.
Hubbard is a small community in the Willamette Valley, and if you didn’t know it was there, you might miss it driving along Highway 99E. However,PDX shuttle airport know it has an interesting history and has been a premier agricultural region since its establishment. The town was named for Charles Hubbard, a Kentucky native, who crossed the plains to Oregon by ox team in 1847. Soon after the Charles Hubbard family arrived in Oregon, they rented a squatter’s cabin on the ridge between the Pudding River and Ferrier Creek (also called “Deer Creek” and now known as Mill Creek). That cabin was owned by Thomas Hunt, who left the area on a gold-seeking expedition. He never returned. Subsequently, Charles Hubbard acquired 400 acres of land in and around the present city.PDX shuttle airport the town was named for him because he offered 10 acres of land as an inducement for the Oregon-California railroad, which was under construction from 1868-78. The railroad accepted the offer and was built through Hubbard in late 1871 right after the first store was built in 1870 by Aaron B. Gleason. The Oregon Legislature voted to grant Hubbard a charter and the right to incorporate in February, 1891. As with many towns, the arrival of the railroad spurred development, and Hubbard grew to a population of 500 by 1910.
There were 958 households of which 49.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.9% were married couples living together, 13.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 21.1% were non-families. 15.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.31 and the average family size was 3.71.
The median age in the city was 30.1 years. 33.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 30.6% were from 25 to 44; 20.1% were from 45 to 64; and 6.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.3% male and 49.7% female.
Troutdale is a community with a rich historic past. The area at the confluence of the Sandy and Columbia Rivers was “discovered” in the autumn of 1792 by Lt. Broughton and his men. The Crew was traveling aboard a British vessel under command of Captain George Vancouver who was aboard another vessel. They were ascending the Columbia River, when they reached a point just east of the mouth of the Sandy River. This point, immediately across the Sandy River from Troutdale, was named Broughton’s Bluff, many years later. Mount Hood, however, was seen and named on this location at that time.
The earliest settlers came in 1850 and 1851. Early donation land claims were filed by John Douglass, D.F. Buxton, Benjamin Hall, Stott and Hicklin. Family records credit David F. Buxton as Troutdale’s true founder. He filed a donation land claim in 1853 in the center of the present city of Troutdale. Buxton developed the town’s first primitive water system, which was in use until the 1960’s. He died in Troutdale in 1910.
PDX shuttle airport say However, it was Captain John Harlow, a former sea captain from Maine and successful Portland businessman, who conceived a plan for the town and made it happen. In 1872 he purchased part of Buxton’s land claim to build his country home. Because he raised trout in ponds on his farm, he called his farm “Troutdale.” He convinced the railroad to build a depot at the site of his farm so he could ship his produce. On November 20th in 1882, Troutdale had a rail line; an important step in becoming a bonafide town.
After Harlow’s death in 1883, Celestia, his widow, began platting a town with blocks and streets. Much of the city was built in 1890 and 1891. The first edition of Troutdale’s newspaper announced the opening of Aaron Fox’s new store, a restaurant, and included ads for a hardware store, surgeon, notary public and blacksmith.
The town’s major industry was the American Dressed Meat Company, later sold to become Portland’s Swift and Company. Other industries that rose were a lumber mill, a hotel and a distillery. The distillery burned in what was reported as a “bright blue flame” in the 1890’s.
Aaron Fox was instrumental in incorporating the City in 1907 and became its first mayor. It had become a town of saloons, and incorporation arose from the necessity to exercise some controls over them. Huge licensing fees precluded the need for city taxes.
In 1907, a disastrous fire swept through the city burning the 1890’s buildings. A church built on a hillside two blocks from the business district was one of the few 1890’s buildings that survived. Some homes also survived.
In 1914, two years after women got to vote in Oregon, Clara Latourell Larsson become mayor of Troutdale and one of Oregon’s earliest women mayors.
The Columbia River Highway was built and ran through Troutdale in 1916. Enterprising residents opened businesses, restaurants, tea rooms, hot dog stands and dance pavilions to feed and entertain the travelers.
In 1924, Laura Harlow, daughter-in-law of Captain John Harlow was elected Mayor of the city.
In 1925, a second fire mostly destroyed the business district. This fire is believed to have resulted from an explosion of a still in the garage of John Larsson, the former mayor’s husband. The Tiller Hotel and Helming’s Saloon, both built after the first 1907 fire, are two of the pre-1925 buildings left in the business district today.
John Harlow’s original house was torn down in the 1920’s. The only original building remaining was the home of his son, Fred, built in 1900 on the original farm site. That building is now the Harlow House Museum of the Troutdale Historical Society. The original rail depot burned in 1907 and was replaced by a second depot that is now the Rail Museum. It was moved from its original location to its present site in 1979.
In the 1920’s, Troutdale claimed the title of the “Celery Capital of the World” as a result of prize winning celery grown here. But farmers also grew wonderful produce and gladiola bulbs… grown in the area’s fertile, sandy soil and shipped all over the nation by rail.
The Troutdale City Hall was completed in 1923. The original wood dance floor is now covered by city offices. The dances were an important part of Troutdale’s social life for years.
Construction of an aluminum plant was a boon to the economy in the mid 1940’s, but eventually its emissions ended the gladiola industry and damaged other crops. Completion of Interstate 84 in the 1950’s pulled traffic off the Columbia River Highway and away from Troutdale. The City remained fairly quiet during the 1950’s.
Suddenly in the 1960’s, Portland suburbanites discovered Troutdale and the City built its first subdivision and made plans for a new sewage treatment plant. Under the guidance of Mayor Glenn Otto, who later became a state senator and statewide leader, the city boundaries expanded from 320 to more than 2000 acres.
There were 5,671 households of which 40.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.7% were married couples living together, 12.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 25.8% were non-families. 18.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.20.
The median age in the city was 34 years. 27.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 9.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.9% were from 25 to 44; 27.1% were from 45 to 64; and 7.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.0% male and 51.0% female.
PDX shuttle airport understand it’s big point there were 347 households of which 35.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.3% were married couples living together, 10.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 19.0% were non-families. 14.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.82 and the average family size was 3.06.
The median age in the city was 38.9 years. 23.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.7% were from 25 to 44; 31.9% were from 45 to 64; and 9.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.2% male and 49.8% female.
Downtown Portland is almost a perfect model for what today’s larger city should look like. Set along the banks of the Willamette, the downtown core is clean and modern with a financial district, well-patronized downtown shopping and several parks. Just north is the more historic Pearl District, anchored by the restored Portland Union Station tail hub and its famous “Go By Train” neon sign at the top.
The surrounding streets are studded with small restaurants and businesses in well-maintained older brick buildings. The downtown population is steadily growing with new riverfront high-rise units and a number of Pearl District residential developments. The city has excellent destination museums, cultural amenities and entertainment venues in an interesting blend of modern and historic facilities.
PDX shuttle airport know The first post office in the area was Ekins, established in 1881. Dundee is named in honor of the birthplace of William Reid, Dundee, Scotland. Reid came to Oregon in 1874 to establish the Oregonian Railway, and made several extensions to the railroad in the western Willamette Valley. The Ekins post office was closed in 1885 and a new office opened in 1887, named “Dundee Junction”. The name derived from plans to build a bridge across the Willamette River for the railroad, which would have called for a junction at Dundee between the west railroad and the new east railroad. The bridge was never built, however, and the post office was renamed “Dundee” in 1897.
There were 1,136 households of which 41.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.4% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.9% had a male householder with no wife present, and 23.8% were non-families. 19.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.15.
The median age in the city was 36.7 years. 27.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 29.3% were from 25 to 44; 26.1% were from 45 to 64; and 10.2% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.3% male and 49.7% female.
There were 553 households of which 57.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.5% were married couples living together, 13.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 7.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 19.5% were non-families. 14.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.21 and the average family size was 3.54.
The median age in the city was 29.5 years. 37.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.4% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 31.7% were from 25 to 44; 19.2% were from 45 to 64; and 3.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.6% male and 49.4% female.
Best reason that PDX shuttle airport like and support this city is as of the census of 2010, there were 135 people, 44 households, and 35 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,700.0 inhabitants per square mile (1,042.5/km2). There were 45 housing units at an average density of 900.0 per square mile (347.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 80.7% White, 0.7% African American, 0.7% Native American, 14.1% from other races, and 3.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 14.8% of the population.
There were 44 households of which 36.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.4% were married couples living together, 11.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 20.5% were non-families. 20.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.07 and the average family size was 3.43.
The median age in the city was 38.4 years. 29.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23% were from 25 to 44; 26.7% were from 45 to 64; and 12.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.9% male and 51.1% female.
Portland is situated midway between a low coastal range to the west and the higher Cascade Range to the east, each starting their rise about 30 miles from the city that support with PDX shuttle airport. Both ranges are visible from the city. The natural landscape is heavily forested with large, coniferous trees. The climate is marine with a strong winter rainfall pattern. Almost 90% of annual precipitation occurs October through May. July and August are almost completely dry. There are only 5 days each year with measurable snow. The winter season is characterized by relatively mild temperatures, cloudy skies, and rain. Occasional cold spells with snow and freezing rain can occur when continental air invades. Summer produces pleasantly mild temperatures, northwesterly winds, and very little precipitation. First freeze is early November, last is early May.
As of the census of 2010, there were 918 people, 336 households, and 256 families residing in the city one of the reason that PDX shuttle airport support this area. The population density was 1,912.5 inhabitants per square mile (738.4/km2). There were 349 housing units at an average density of 727.1 per square mile (280.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 89.7% White, 0.5% African American, 0.9% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 6.3% from other races, and 2.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.9% of the population.
There were 336 households of which 37.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.0% were married couples living together, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 23.8% were non-families. 18.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.12.
The median age in the city was 39.6 years. 27.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.5% were from 25 to 44; 31.8% were from 45 to 64; and 10.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 51.6% male and 48.4% female.
Albany has a home rule charter, a council–manager government, and a full-time unelected city manager. The city provides the population with access to over 30 parks and trails, a senior center, and many cultural events such as River Rhythms and Mondays at Monteith. In addition to farming and manufacturing, the city’s economy depends on retail trade, health care, and social assistance. In recent years the city has worked to revive the downtown shopping area, with help from The Central Albany Revitalization Area.
PDX shuttle airport know, Albany Municipal Airport is a general aviation airport on the eastern edge of Albany and has been open since 1920 and is believed to be the oldest operating airfield in Oregon. In 1998, the airport became the first airport in Oregon to be named to the National Register of Historic Places, and was the City of Albany’s fourth National Historic District, and has been home to parts of the Northwest Art & Air Festival since its first air show in 1931. It has a single runway with the specs of 16–34 3,004 X 75, and is an asphalt runway. The closest airports with commercial air service available are the Eugene Airport to the south and the Portland International Airport to the north.
The station itself was constructed in 1909 for the Southern Pacific Railroad and is built of masonry. It is one of the oldest continuously operating passenger rail stations in the U.S. and has one of the best-equipped engine shops in the northwest. Southern Pacific 4449, a steam locomotive which resides at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center in Portland, occasionally visited the shop for repairs when it was residing at the Brooklyn Roundhouse in Portland (before 2012), as did several other locomotives stored at the now-demolished roundhouse. Beginning in 2004, the station and the surrounding area underwent an $11.3 million restoration that was funded with a combination of federal, state, local, and Amtrak money. In 2006 the city received the Award in Downtown Excellence from the Oregon Downtown Development Association for the renovation of the station.
Public transportation within Albany is provided by Albany Transit System (ATS). Connections to Corvallis are provided by bus service via the Linn-Benton Loop and the Valley Retriever Thruway inter-county bus systems. ATS, the Linn-Benton Loop, and the Valley Retriever all provide bus service to and from the Amtrak station.
Albany has both the Ellsworth Street Bridge which was constructed in 1926 and the Lyon Street Bridge bridge that was constructed in 1973. They are both two-lane bridges that make up part of U.S. Route 20. The two bridges connect Linn to the south with Benton County in the north as they pass across the Willamette River. This makes up the major connection of downtown Albany with the north end of town and to Corvallis.
Albany has made a growing effort to increase itself as a bicyclist friendly town through increasing the number of paths and trails that are open to them. The city was recently recognized as a Bicycle-Friendly Community for 2010 by the League of American Bicyclists for its efforts.
Albany is served by Samaritan Albany General Hospital, a 76-bed medical facility that is the main hospital for the city and has been in operation since 1924. Albany is also served by Samaritan North Albany Urgent Care and Geary Street Urgent Care, both of which are part of Samaritan Health Services. The unaffiliated Albany Family & Specialty Medicine also provides medical services to the community.
In the historic era, the area of the Willamette Valley that makes up modern-day Albany was inhabited by one of the tribes of the Kalapuya a Penutian-speaking, Native American people. The Kalapuya had named the area Takenah. a Kalapuyan word used to describe the deep pool at the confluence of the Calapooia and Willamette rivers. A variation of the place name can also be written as Tekenah.
The Kalapuya population in the valley was between 4,000 and 20,000 before contact with Europeans, but they suffered high mortality from new infectious diseases introduced shortly afterward. The tribes were decimated by a smallpoxepidemic that raged through the Pacific Northwest in 1782–83. A malaria outbreak swept through the region between 1830 and 1833. It is estimated that as many as 90 percent of the Kalapuya population died during this period. That, coupled with the treaties signed during the 1850s by the Kalapuya to cede land to the United States, left the area nearly free for European Americans to settle.
The first European American settler arrived in 1845; Abner Hackleman was a farmer from Iowa. Taking up a land claim for himself, Hackleman asked Hiram N. Smead to hold another for him until his son arrived from Iowa. In 1846, a year after arriving in Oregon, Hackleman died while returning to Iowa to fetch his family. In 1847 a pair of brothers, Walter and Thomas Monteith, settled in the area, after traveling by ox team along the Oregon Trail from their native state of New York. They were a family of early prominence in the area; in 1848, they bought a claim of 320 acres (1.3 km2) from Hiram Smead for $400 and a horse; they plotted out 60 acres (240,000 m2) for the town site. They named the city “Albany” after their hometown of Albany in New York. During the same period, Hackleman’s son Abram reached his father’s original land claim and built a log house in an oak grove still known as Hackleman’s Grove. He later built a house, which still stands at the corner of Fifth and Jackson. The small settlement that formed on the Hackleman land became known as the community of Takenah in 1849.
Sidewheel steamboat Occident, at Albany, near Red Crown Mills
View of bucolic Albany during the decade of the 1880s.
In 1871, the trains first reached Albany, connecting it to other towns in the valley. The arrival of the first train was celebrated as the greatest event in Albany’s history. Albany businessmen raised $50,000 to ensure that the rails would be built through the city, instead of bypassing it a few miles eastward. The train brought the farmers’ markets closer to the city, as stagecoaches and steamboats gave way to the railroad. The world’s longest wooden railroad drawbridge was built in 1888 for the Albany-Corvallis run. By 1910, 28 passenger trains departed daily from Albany going in five directions.
In 1916 Kuo-Ching Li, a Chinese-American engineer, founded Wah Chang Trading Corporation in New York State, but it was based in Albany. He developed it as an international tungsten ore and concentrate trading company, leading the company until his death in 1961. He served as president until 1960 and then board chairman 10 years later PDX shuttle airport created.
The U.S. Bureau of Mines established a research center on the former Albany College campus in 1942, focusing on the development of new metallurgical processes. First known as the Northwest Electro-development Facility, the site produced titanium and zirconium. It fostered the growth of a new rare metals industry in Albany, led by internationally recognized companies such as the Oregon Metallurgical Company, Oremet, and Wah Chang. In the 1970s, Albany attempted to extend its city limits to include a zirconium processing plant of Wah Chang Corporation in order to increase its industrial tax base. Wah Chang responded in 1974 by sponsoring a vote to incorporate the desired properties as Millersburg. When the Bureau of Mines closed in 1996, the facility was transferred to the United States Department of Energy‘s Office of Fossil Energy. In 2005 the facility became part of the National Energy Technology Laboratory.