Maupin is named for Howard Maupin, a pioneer who had a farm and
ferry at the town’s location in the late 19th century. Originally named
Hunts Ferry after the owner of a ferry on the Deschutes River, the name was
changed to Maupin Ferry by town founder William H. Staats. The city’s name was
shortened to Maupin in about 1909.
As of the census of 2010, there were 418
people, 199 households, and 113 families residing in the city. The population density was
about 299 inhabitants per square mile (115.4/km2). There
were 274 housing units at an average density of about 196 per square mile
(75.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 95.7% White,
American, 0.2% Asian,
0.2% Pacific Islander,
0.2% from other races,
and 2.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of
any race were 1.2% of the population.
were 199 households of which about 20% had children under the age of 18 living
with them, about 50% were married couples living
together, 3.5% had a female householder with no husband present, 3% had a male
householder with no wife present, and about 43% were non-families. About 41% of
all households were made up of individuals and about 21% had someone living
alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.98 and
the average family size was 2.65.
median age in the city was about 56 years. About 15% of residents were under
the age of 18; about 5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 15.5% were from 25
to 44; 32.8% were from 45 to 64; and about 32% were 65 years of age or older.
The gender makeup of the city was about 51% male and 49% female.
The only city located
directly on the beautiful lower Deschutes River. Maupin began as a river
crossing, then called Hunt’s Ferry, and later on evolved into a farming and
logging community. Maupin has retained it’s small town quality of life with a
community of 426 people. Aside from having direct access to recreational
opportunities on the lower Deschutes, Maupin is also just 45 minutes by car
Hood, the Columbia River Gorge and two hours
from Bend or Portland. Maupin is also an important center of services for the
southern Wasco County region. All of the schools for the South Wasco County
School District are located directly in town. In addition Maupin boasts a
robust tourism industry summer into fall and a steadily growing local business
Maupin established a
stopping place for travelers and in 1871 was the first postmaster of the town
of Antelope. He also had a farm at the forks of Trout Creek.
In the 1880’s his son
Commodore Perry Maupin established a ferry across the Deschutes near the mouth
of Bakeoven Creek. When Perry wanted to take on a new challenge, his parents
moved to Maupin and took over operation of the ferry. The ferry was later owned
be W.E. Hunt. East Maupin was referred to as Hunt’s Ferry for many years after
the ferry was gone.
The Deschutes Railroad
War took off in 1908. Hill’s Oregon Trunk Railway, building up the west side of
the river eventually reached the current site of Maupin and designated it
“Maupin’s Ferry” on the maps. Running a little behind, Harriman’s Deschutes
Railroad, building on the east side of the river, designated his side as
When W.H. Staats first
platted the town in 1908, he named it Maupin’s Ferry. The 1909 plat and the
first Post Office used the name Maupin. The railroads arrived in 1911 and the
first vehicle bridge was built in 1912, ending the need for a ferry.
The town’s proximity to the Atlantic
Ocean, and its location on the banks of the Royal
River, which empties into Casco Bay less
than a mile away, means it is a prime location as a harbor. Ships were built in
the harbor mainly between 1818 and the 1870s, at which point demand declined
dramatically. Meanwhile, the Royal River’s four waterfalls within Yarmouth,
whose Main Street sits about 80 feet above sea level, resulted in the
foundation of almost sixty mills between 1674 and 1931.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the
town has a total area of 22.94 square miles (59.41 km2), of
which 13.35 square miles (34.58 km2) (58%)
is land and 9.59 square miles (24.84 km2) (42%)
Traces of human occupation in the Yarmouth area date to about
2,000 BC. During the years prior to the arrival of the Europeans,
many Native American cultures
existed in the area, largely because of the natural features of the coastal
land. Rivers provided several resources, including food, fertile soil, power
for the mills and the navigability between the inland areas and the ocean.
In 1640, a 39-year-old Englishman, George Felt (b. 1601, d.
1693), who emigrated to Charlestown, Massachusetts, seven
years earlier, purchased 300 acres of land at Broad Cove from John Phillips (b.
1607, d. c. 1667), a Welshman, and in 1643 became one of the first European
settlers in Yarmouth. Felt went back to Massachusetts to sell his property
there, before returning to Broad Cove around 1660. In 1670 he bought 2,000 more
acres of land from Phillips.
Felt was married to Elizabeth, with whom he had six children:
Elizabeth (b. circa 1635), George (b. 1638, d. 1676), Mary (b. circa 1639),
Moses (b. 1641), Aaron and another Moses (b. circa 1651). In 1684, Felt moved
back to Massachusetts. He returned briefly, after 1678, when he was around 80
In 1646, Englishman William Royall (b. circa 1595, d. 1676)
purchased a farm at what is now the upscale Lambert Point, next to Redding
Creek, at the southern tip of Lambert Road, where he lived with his wife,
Phoebe Green. The Royal River has ever-since borne his name, minus the
second L, though two streets off Gilman Road — Royall Meadow Road
and Royall Point Road — carry the original spelling. This stream and its
vicinity were called by the Indians “Westcustogo” — a name that,
until the early 1990s, was preserved by an inn of the same name on Princes
Point Road at its intersection with Lafayette Street. (The building remains but
it is now occupied by another business.) Royall moved to Dorchester, Massachusetts, in
1675, a year before his death. John Cousins (b. circa 1596, d. 1682) had
arrived a year or more earlier than Royall, occupying the neck of land between
the branches of the stream which has since been called Cousins River, and
owning the island now also bearing his name.
By 1676, approximately sixty-five people lived in Westcustogo.
Soon after, however, conflicts forged by King Philip’s War caused them to abandon
their homes and move south.John
Cousins was injured and went to York,
Maine, to receive treatment. There, he lived with Mary Saywood, to
whom he later deeded his real estate in Casco Bay.
Also in 1676, George Felt Jr. was killed on Peaks
Island during the conflicts. Felt’s wife, Philippe, moved
to Salem, Massachusetts, where she married twice before
her death in 1709.
Some settlers returned to their dwellings in 1679, and within
twelve months the region became incorporated as North Yarmouth, the eighth town of the province of
In 1688, while the inhabitants on the eastern side of the river
were building a garrison, they were attacked by Indians, and
attempted a defense. They continued the contest until nightfall, when the
Indians retired. It was not long before they appeared again, in such force that
the thirty-six families of the settlement were forced to flee, abandoning their
homes for a second time.
Beaverton Airporter know Grand Trunk Railway Station(1906),
most recently (until 2018) a florist, is owned by Yarmouth’s Village Improvement
Society. The apsidal form of its northern end is found in no other Maine
station. The waiting room for the station stood on the land now occupied by
Hancock Lumber (formerly Yarmouth Market) and Bank of
America, as denoted by a plaque in the flowerbed of the properties
In 1961, the Yarmouth section of Interstate 295 was built. It runs elevated
through town (including, in controversial fashion, over the harborside at Lower
Falls). It has two exits (15 and 17) in the town. Exit 15 became a four-ramp
intersection in July 2013, when a northbound on-ramp was added.
In 1727, five local men — Samuel Seabury, James Parker, Jacob
Mitchell, Gershom Rice and Phineas Jones — were tasked with the management of the
new town. Their affairs included laying out the highways. Roads (or, at
least, routes) that appeared on subsequent maps are as follows (with today’s
In 1738, “a good road was built over the ledge from the
meeting-house to the mills at the first falls which, although it was abandoned
about 1800 for a less hilly course, may still be easily traced.”
1741: Atlantic Highway (now Route 88; which took a left onto
Pleasant Street), Gilman Road, Princes Point Road, Highlands Farm Road (leading
to Parker’s Point), Drinkwater Point Road (which led to two wharves), Morton
Road and Old Town Landing Road (which led to another wharf). Large lot owners
at the time included Walter Gendall, whose farm incorporated Duck Cove, beyond
Town Landing Road in today’s Cumberland Foreside (Cumberland was not
incorporated as its own town until 1821). Its dry stone boundary
is still intact. Welshman John Powell (b. c. 1669, d. 1742) had a farm
where today’s Schooner Ridge Road is. John Dabney’s 60-acre lot abutted this to
the east. Dabney was a town selectman in
1737. Felt had a lot at the foot of the northern end of Pleasant Street,
adjacent to Stony Brook. Royall’s farm, meanwhile, occupied the entire area
bisected by Bayview Street.
In 1756, “to accommodate the teams hauling lumber from the
great pine forests inland to the seaboard, a new more convenient way was laid
out by the way of Walnut Hill and the road constructed.”
In 1813, down at the First Falls, “the old road which
clambered laboriously over the crest of the hill was replaced by a new street
along the head of the wharves below the hill”. This is today’s Pleasant
Street. Later, Smith Street became an uninterrupted offshoot into Riverside
Cemetery until Lafayette Street was built, in the early 20th century, coming
down the hill closer to the harbor. (It was named Lafayette Street in honor of General Lafayette.)
By 1847, Portland Street was in full swing, including the Elm
Street offshoot that headed directly into the Upper Village. Main Street was,
by now, well established.
A 1944 map shows the Atlantic Highway coming through town,
aligning with what became Route 88 up to the point they meet at the end of
Spring Street. Prior to the installation of U.S. Route 1, today’s curve of
Route 88 as it passes Cumberland Farms instead continued directly north-east
towards Cousins River. The section of Atlantic Highway that runs from Princes
Point Road to the northern end of Pleasant Street was laid in the late 1920s.
Roswell P. Greeley (b. 1847, d. 1903) established an
express service between Portland and Yarmouth, employing a span of horses and
large wagons. Azel Kingsley (b. 1860, d. 1948) ran a supplemental
service minus the horses. It ran two services in each direction:
southbound at 7.30 and 11.30 AM and northbound at 3.00 and 5.00 PM.
Branch of the Maine Central Railroad received a new lease of life
in November 2012, when a northern extension of the Downeaster line
was opened, carrying passengers five times a day (four on weekends) to and
from Brunswick‘s Maine Street Station. The
trains pass under two roads and over three crossings on their way through
Yarmouth. They are (from south to north) West Main Street (overpass, just after
Royal Junction), Sligo Road (road crossing), East Elm Street (road crossing,
just after Yarmouth Junction), North Road (road crossing) and Granite Street
On weekdays, the trains pass through northbound at 12.03 PM
(#681), 4.03 PM (#683), 7.53 PM (#685), 9.18 PM (#687) and 1.23 AM (#689). On
weekends, they pass through at 1.23 PM (#691), 7.43 PM (#695), 10.23 PM (#697)
and 1.23 AM (#699).
Southbound weekday times: 4.50 AM (#680), 7.50 AM (#682), 11.30
AM (#684), 1.50 PM (#686) and 5.45 PM (#688). Weekend: 6.20 AM (#690), 7.50 AM
(#692), 11.40 AM (#694) and 6.25 PM (#698).
Trolley cars of the Portland and Yarmouth Electric Railway Company used to run, every fifteen minutes, from Portland, through Falmouth Foreside, up and down Pleasant Streetand onto Main Street between 1898 and 1933, when the advent of the automobile made rail travel a less convenient option. Underwood Spring Park in Falmouth Foreside, with its open-air theater, casino and gazebo, was a popular gathering spot serviced by the trolley cars. The theater only existed for eight years, burning down in 1907. In 1906, a bridge was built over the Royal River, connecting the Brunswick and Portland trolleys at the Grand Trunk depot in town. The tracks ran down what is today’s walkers’ path to the Rowe School. The pedestrian bridge in the Royal River Park is built on old abutments for a trolley line which ran between Yarmouth and Freeport between 1906 and 1933.
The only bus route that services the town is Greater Portland Metro’s BREEZ.
It has eleven southbound services to Portland and twelve northbound services to
Brunswick on weekdays and an abbreviated Saturday schedule. There is no service
On weekdays, the first southbound service arrives in Yarmouth at
around 6.20 AM and the last one at around 8.45 PM. The first northbound service
arrives at around 6.45 AM and the last one at around 9.50 PM.
On weekends, the first of six southbound services arrives at
around 9.45 AM and the last one at around 8.55 PM. The first of seven
northbound services arrives at around 8.30 AM and the last one at around 10.00
Prior to the arrival of
European immigrants in the 1800s, little is known about Native American
settlements in the Gaston area. What is known indicates that Native Americans in the area lived similarly to other Pacific Northwest tribes. In nearby Cherry Grove there are a few petroglyphs usually credited to the Atfalati tribe, which is a division of Kalapuya. Diseases such as
smallpox, malaria and influenza which were brought to North America by European
Settlers, decimated local native American population. By the time Europeans
began to significantly settle the region, as much as 90% of the original native
populations had been killed.
In the 1860s, the census
recorded only about 70 people in the Gaston area. Nonetheless, in 1866, the
first Gaston School was founded. In 1870, a new school was built near the
connecting road between Old Highway 47 and the new Highway 47. Initially students only attended school for three to six
months per year, later expanded to nine months. In 1871, as a stage coach line brought more settlers, and in anticipation of a
new rail line, railroad developer and town namesake Joseph Gaston set aside 2 acres (0.81 ha) of land on what was
then the edge of town for a school.
airport find in the early 1870s,
stagecoach and rail service was expanding rapidly in Washington County.
By 1872, a stop on the Portland – St. Joseph line in Patton Valley was
officially named Gaston. With a train stop, more people came and by 1873 a post office opened in the new town. The same year, the first
church, Gaston Congregational Church, was also built. In the 1880s, Joseph Gaston was
responsible for draining Wapato Lake, which lay in the valley around the rail stop, creating the
farmland that exists today. “Wapato” is a word from the local Indians
that refers to a water-based starchy root vegetable related to arrowroot sometimes called a “water
potato” in local English. Rail service ended in 1985 with the removal of
rails back to the junction to the Seghers spur.
PDX shuttle airport know The
addition of a spur line to the nearby Cherry Grove area for the construction of
a lumber mill in 1911 added significant
activity to the local economy, although it had to be shut down in 1913 during a
lumber market crash. The crash of 1913 notwithstanding, by 1916 Gaston had
added a bank, J.H. Wescott and Sons General Merchandise, Bell & Owens
General Mercantile Company, and other businesses.
In early May 1935 workers at the Stimson Mill
went on strike. On May 22, “twenty-five cars loaded with pickets left the
Labor Temple in Portland” to support the strikers. The next morning
Martin ordered the state police and National Guard to protect
the strikebreakers. Armed with gas grenades and machine guns, the military and
police forces demanded the strikers leave or be shot. The strikers chose to
disperse, averting a potential bloodbath. http://beavertonairporter.com/ +1
(503) 760 6565 PDX
In 1915 a new high school
was built on the land Joseph Gaston had previously set aside for a school. That
high school was in use through the 1986–87 school year, when it was condemned. The condemning of the building
became a crucial local issue for the town, with residents split between merging
with a nearby district (both Forest Grove and Yamhill were considered), and
building a new high school. In the end, a new high school was built and Gaston
retained its independent school system and with it a degree of local pride. Currently
the Gaston School District is a full K–12 district, with 525 students total in
2007, and a single high school.
The growing popularity of Portland and the Pacific Northwest in general has
led to population growth throughout the region. Though too far from Portland to
benefit much at first, recently Gaston has started to see new housing and an
uptick in school registrations. The late 1980s brought a new fire station and the 1990s baseball/softball-oriented park. Just
after 2000, a new post office was built on the edge of town. Thus far, the town
has not been able to effectively capitalize on the local wine industry’s
growing national and international recognition. In 2006, the mayoral candidate
advocated obtaining state or federal funding to revitalize the commercial strip on Main Street which, in theory, could help the city
capture some of the wine tourism dollars.
There were 241 households of which 36.9% had
children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.8% were married couples living together, 10.0%
had a female householder with no husband present, 6.6% had a male householder
with no wife present, and 33.6% were non-families. 25.3% of all households were
made up of individuals and 3.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of
age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size
was 3.18. http://beavertonairporter.com/ +1
(503) 760 6565 PDX
The median age in the city was 35.2 years. 26.7% of residents
were under the age of 18; 9.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.7% were
from 25 to 44; 31.2% were from 45 to 64; and 6% were 65 years of age or older.
The gender makeup of the city was 51.2% male and 48.8% female.
PDX shuttle airport base on wiki find as of the
census of 2000, there were 600 people, 196 households, and 139 families
residing in the city. The population density was 2,691.7 people per square mile
(1,053.0/km²). There were 204 housing units at an average density of 915.2 per
square mile (358.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 88.33% White, 0.83%
Native American, 0.17% Asian, 7.00% from other races, and 3.67% from 2 or more
races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 14.50% of the population. http://beavertonairporter.com/ +1
(503) 760 6565 PDX
There were 196 households out of which 44.9%
had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.0% were married couples
living together, 14.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and
28.6% were non-families. 25.0% of all households were made up of individuals
and 3.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average
household size was 3.06 and the average family size was 3.73.
In the city, the population was spread out with 37.7% under the
age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 30.7% from 25 to 44, 18.2% from 45 to 64, and
4.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28 years. For every
100 females, there were 104.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over,
there were 90.8 males.
The median income for
a household in the city was $36,458, and the median income for a family was
$42,031. Males had a median income of $31,641 versus $25,833 for females.
The per capita income for
the city was $17,758. About 9.8% of families and 11.1% of the population were
below the poverty line,
including 21.3% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
In 1845, Joseph C. Avery settled a land claim at the mouth of Marys River where it flows into the Willamette River. In 1849, Avery opened a store at the site, platted the land, and surveyed a town site on his land claim, naming the community Marysville. It is possible that the city was named after early settler Mary Lloyd, but now the name is thought to be derived from French fur trappers’ naming of Marys Peak after the Virgin Mary.
In 1853, the legislative assembly changed the city’s name to Corvallis, from the Latin phrase Corvallis, meaning “heart of the valley.” Corvallis was incorporated as a city on January 29, 1857. The town served briefly as the capital of the Oregon Territory in 1855 before Salem was eventually selected as the permanent seat of state government.
Nineteenth-century Corvallis saw a three-year boom beginning in 1889, which began with the establishment of a privately-owned electrical plant by L.L. Hurd. A flurry of publicity and public and private investment followed, including construction of a grand county courthouse, planning and first construction of a new street railway, construction of a new flour mill along the river between Monroe and Jackson Avenues, and construction of the Hotel Corvallis, today known as the Julian Hotel that Corvallis to Portland shuttle supported you to find it.
In addition a carriage factory was launched in the city and the town’s streets were improved, while the size of the city was twice enlarged through annexation. Bonds were issued for a city-owned water works, a sewer system, and for public ownership of the electric pant. A publicity campaign was launched to attempt to expand the tax base through new construction for new arrivals. This effort proved mostly unsuccessful, however, and in 1892 normalcy returned, with the city saddled with about $150,000 in bonded debt.
Long-distance bus service is provided by Greyhound. It stops at the Greyhound station in downtown Corvallis (station ID: CVI.)
Local bus service is provided by Corvallis Transit System (CTS). In January 2011, the Corvallis City Council approved an additional fee on monthly water utility bills allowing all CTS bus service to become fare less. The system runs a total of eight daytime routes Monday through Saturday, covering most of the city and converging at a Downtown Transit Center. Additional commuter routes also run in the early morning and late afternoon on weekdays, and mid-morning and mid-afternoon on Saturdays. When Oregon State University is in session CTS also runs the “Beaver Bus,” a set of late-night routes running Thursday through Saturday.
Two other short-distance inter-city buses, the Linn-Benton Loop (to Albany) and the Philomath Connection, also stop at the Downtown Transit Center.
From 2010 to 2011, CTS has seen a 37.87% increase in ridership, partially as a result of going fareless and “the rising cost of fuel for individual vehicles and the desire for residents to choose more sustainable options for commuting to work, school and other activities” According to Tim Bates the Corvallis Transit System and Philomath Connection, had 3,621,387 passenger miles traveled and 85,647 gallons of fuel consumed in Fiscal Year 2011, a period that covers July 1, 2010 – June 30, 2011.This means that riders in Fiscal Year 2011 got 42.28 passenger miles per gallon.
The League of American Bicyclists gave Corvallis a gold rating as a Bicycle-Friendly Community in 2011. Also, according to the United States Census Bureau’s 2008–12American Community Survey, 11.2 percent of workers in Corvallis bicycle to work. The city of Corvallis is ranked third highest among U.S. cities for bicycle commuters, behind Key West, Florida (17.4) and Davis, California (18.6).
Portland International Airport, or PDX, is located in the city of Portland, Oregon. Portland is home to various sports teams such as the NBA team Trailblazers, MLS Timbers and The University of Oregon.
Portland InternationalÂ Airport servesÂ a significantÂ travel hubÂ within theÂ NorthwestÂ USAÂ andÂ could be aÂ majorÂ entranceÂ between theÂ USAÂ and diverseÂ foreign nations,Â likeÂ Japan andÂ Netherlands. The airportâ€™s code is (PDX) and serves most of the state ofÂ American state, accounting forÂ ninetiethÂ of eachÂ travelers.Â SetÂ in Multnomah County, Portland InternationalÂ landing fieldÂ could be aÂ mereÂ 8.2 miles from our company PDX Shuttle Airport.Â ShipmentÂ serviceÂ is additionallyÂ provided to citiesÂ likeÂ Los Angeles, Chicago and Anchorage.
Due to PDXâ€™s standing as a vital hub within the geographic region, Portlandâ€™s economy has full-fledged associate inflow of growth and has spawned a vivacious torero culture. Portland has become one amongst the foremost attention-grabbing cities to expertise a drawn-out stopover certain end of the day travelers.
In 2013, Portland International Airport handled over 7 million travelers, ranking PDX #30 among the busiest airports in the United States. Portlandâ€™s status as a civil military airport also means it is one of the only airports in the country that can meet the needs of a C-5 Galaxy jet.
Portland International Airport is divided into 5 different terminals, letters A through E. Terminals A and B are primarily dedicated to Horizon Air and Alaska Airlines flights. The other major airlines, such as American Airlines, Delta, and United Express are spread throughout the remaining three terminals. There is also a terminal for business aviation and a specialized cargo area.
Each of these shuttle services is of the highest quality and reliability and have been examined to ensure a safe and comfortable journey. Beaverton Airporter, PDX Shuttle Airport, and PDX Airport Shuttle are all known to provide great service to their customers. Our local providers also service the Oregon Convention Center for those needing share ride or private van service.
The Clarion edifice, handily situated on Portland International Airportâ€™s premises that you can go there with PDX Shuttle Airport, makes your long keep a straightforward one. Having your outgoing flight in such shut proximity offers you the peace of mind required for an honest nightâ€™s rest. Craving for a 2 or 3 star edifice instead? Comfort hostel, Lionel Hampton hostel, Super 8, Comfort Suites, Fairfield hostel and Econo Lodge square measure all within sight and accessible to you.
Portland International Airport contains a plethora of great dining options, including Burger Ville, Sandovalâ€™s Mexican Grill, Beaches and Flying Elephant Delicatessen. A cell phone lot is provided free of charge for those who need up to 30 minutes to connect with their family members. Portland International Airport prides itself on providing a comfortable experience for all of its travelers.