Johnson City is a city in Clackamas
United States. The population was 566 at the 2010 census. Because of its small
area, its population density is over 8,000 per square mile, making it the most
densely populated city in Oregon.
On June 16, 1970, the residents of a trailer court owned by Delbert Johnson voted 49-to-10
to incorporate. Johnson had started the development in 1959, and in 1968 was
unsuccessful in having the area annexed to Gladstone. The 55th Oregon Legislative Assembly in 1969 established a boundary review
board to prevent an increase in small-incorporated cities, but proponents of
Johnson City’s incorporation had filed for an election before the law took
As of the census of
2010, there were 566 people, 268 households, and 141 families residing in the
city. The population density was 8,085.7 inhabitants per
square mile (3,121.9/km2). There were 278 housing units
at an average density of 3,971.4 per square mile (1,533.4/km2). The
racial makeup of the city was 84.3% White, 0.4% African American,
1.4% Native American, 1.9% Asian, 7.4% from other races, and 4.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.4% of the population.
There were 268 households of which 19.8% had children under the
age of 18 living with them, 36.9% were married
couples living together, 13.1% had a female householder with no
husband present, 2.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 47.4%
were non-families. 40.3% of all households were made up of individuals and
14.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average
household size was 2.09 and the average family size was 2.84.
The median age in the city was 47.1 years. 18.7% of residents
were under the age of 18; 6.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.8% were
from 25 to 44; 33.8% were from 45 to 64; and 18.6% were 65 years of age or
older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.8% male and 51.2% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 634 people, 275 households,
and 169 families residing in the city. The population density was 11,061.5
people per square mile (4,079.8/km2). There
were 286 housing units at an average density of 4,989.9 per square mile
(1,840.4/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 93.69% White, 1.10% African
American, 1.10% Native American, 0.47% Asian, 1.58% from other races, and 2.05%
from 2 or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.79% of the
There were 275 households out of which 24.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.4% were married couples living together, 13.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.2% were non-families. 32.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the city, the population was spread out with 22.2% under the
age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 30.0% from 25 to 44, 26.5% from 45 to 64, and
15.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every
100 females, there were 98.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over,
there were 93.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $35,517, and
the median income for a family was $36,985. Males had a median income of
$32,500 versus $23,523 for females. The per
capita income for the city was $16,967. About 6.1% of families and 8.1%
of the population were below the poverty
line, including 9.9% of those under age 18 and 10.7% of those ages
65 or over.
Troutdale is a community with a rich historic past. The area at the confluence of the Sandy and Columbia Rivers was “discovered” in the autumn of 1792 by Lt. Broughton and his men. The Crew was traveling aboard a British vessel under command of Captain George Vancouver who was aboard another vessel. They were ascending the Columbia River, when they reached a point just east of the mouth of the Sandy River. This point, immediately across the Sandy River from Troutdale, was named Broughton’s Bluff, many years later. Mount Hood, however, was seen and named on this location at that time.
The earliest settlers came in 1850 and 1851. Early donation land claims were filed by John Douglass, D.F. Buxton, Benjamin Hall, Stott and Hicklin. Family records credit David F. Buxton as Troutdale’s true founder. He filed a donation land claim in 1853 in the center of the present city of Troutdale. Buxton developed the town’s first primitive water system, which was in use until the 1960’s. He died in Troutdale in 1910.
PDX shuttle airport say However, it was Captain John Harlow, a former sea captain from Maine and successful Portland businessman, who conceived a plan for the town and made it happen. In 1872 he purchased part of Buxton’s land claim to build his country home. Because he raised trout in ponds on his farm, he called his farm “Troutdale.” He convinced the railroad to build a depot at the site of his farm so he could ship his produce. On November 20th in 1882, Troutdale had a rail line; an important step in becoming a bonafide town.
After Harlow’s death in 1883, Celestia, his widow, began platting a town with blocks and streets. Much of the city was built in 1890 and 1891. The first edition of Troutdale’s newspaper announced the opening of Aaron Fox’s new store, a restaurant, and included ads for a hardware store, surgeon, notary public and blacksmith.
The town’s major industry was the American Dressed Meat Company, later sold to become Portland’s Swift and Company. Other industries that rose were a lumber mill, a hotel and a distillery. The distillery burned in what was reported as a “bright blue flame” in the 1890’s.
Aaron Fox was instrumental in incorporating the City in 1907 and became its first mayor. It had become a town of saloons, and incorporation arose from the necessity to exercise some controls over them. Huge licensing fees precluded the need for city taxes.
In 1907, a disastrous fire swept through the city burning the 1890’s buildings. A church built on a hillside two blocks from the business district was one of the few 1890’s buildings that survived. Some homes also survived.
In 1914, two years after women got to vote in Oregon, Clara Latourell Larsson become mayor of Troutdale and one of Oregon’s earliest women mayors.
The Columbia River Highway was built and ran through Troutdale in 1916. Enterprising residents opened businesses, restaurants, tea rooms, hot dog stands and dance pavilions to feed and entertain the travelers.
In 1924, Laura Harlow, daughter-in-law of Captain John Harlow was elected Mayor of the city.
In 1925, a second fire mostly destroyed the business district. This fire is believed to have resulted from an explosion of a still in the garage of John Larsson, the former mayor’s husband. The Tiller Hotel and Helming’s Saloon, both built after the first 1907 fire, are two of the pre-1925 buildings left in the business district today.
John Harlow’s original house was torn down in the 1920’s. The only original building remaining was the home of his son, Fred, built in 1900 on the original farm site. That building is now the Harlow House Museum of the Troutdale Historical Society. The original rail depot burned in 1907 and was replaced by a second depot that is now the Rail Museum. It was moved from its original location to its present site in 1979.
In the 1920’s, Troutdale claimed the title of the “Celery Capital of the World” as a result of prize winning celery grown here. But farmers also grew wonderful produce and gladiola bulbs… grown in the area’s fertile, sandy soil and shipped all over the nation by rail.
The Troutdale City Hall was completed in 1923. The original wood dance floor is now covered by city offices. The dances were an important part of Troutdale’s social life for years.
Construction of an aluminum plant was a boon to the economy in the mid 1940’s, but eventually its emissions ended the gladiola industry and damaged other crops. Completion of Interstate 84 in the 1950’s pulled traffic off the Columbia River Highway and away from Troutdale. The City remained fairly quiet during the 1950’s.
Suddenly in the 1960’s, Portland suburbanites discovered Troutdale and the City built its first subdivision and made plans for a new sewage treatment plant. Under the guidance of Mayor Glenn Otto, who later became a state senator and statewide leader, the city boundaries expanded from 320 to more than 2000 acres.
There were 5,671 households of which 40.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.7% were married couples living together, 12.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 25.8% were non-families. 18.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.20.
The median age in the city was 34 years. 27.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 9.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.9% were from 25 to 44; 27.1% were from 45 to 64; and 7.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.0% male and 51.0% female.
French Prairie settlers built a log church near this locale in 1836. On January 6, 1839, Father (later Archbishop) Blanchet celebrated the first Catholic mass in Oregon at St. Paul, when he blessed the log church and dedicated it to St. Paul.
As of the census of 2010, there were 421 people, 147 households, and 113 families residing in the city. PDX shuttle airport find the population density was 1,451.7 inhabitants per square mile (560.5/km2). There were 151 housing units at an average density of 520.7 per square mile (201.0/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 94.1% White, 0.5% Native American, 4.8% from other races, and 0.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 14.7% of the population.
There were 147 households of which 43.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.0% were married couples living together, 6.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 23.1% were non-families. 20.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.28. http://beavertonairporter.com/ +1 (503) 760 6565 PDX shuttle airport
The median age in the city was 38 years. 30.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 4.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.5% were from 25 to 44; 25.7% were from 45 to 64; and 12.4% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.2% male and 50.8% female.
Best reason that PDX shuttle airport like and support this city is as of the census of 2010, there were 135 people, 44 households, and 35 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,700.0 inhabitants per square mile (1,042.5/km2). There were 45 housing units at an average density of 900.0 per square mile (347.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 80.7% White, 0.7% African American, 0.7% Native American, 14.1% from other races, and 3.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 14.8% of the population.
There were 44 households of which 36.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.4% were married couples living together, 11.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 20.5% were non-families. 20.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.07 and the average family size was 3.43.
The median age in the city was 38.4 years. 29.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23% were from 25 to 44; 26.7% were from 45 to 64; and 12.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.9% male and 51.1% female.
There were 1,223 households of which 46.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.4% were married couples living together, 16.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 7.3% had a male householder with no wife present, and 28.0% were non-families. 20.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.11 and the average family size was 3.59.
The median age in the city was 30.7 years. 32.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 29.8% were from 25 to 44; 21.6% were from 45 to 64; and 7.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.9% male and 49.1% female.
There were 1,014 households out of which 38.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.9% were married couples living together, 16.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.8% were non-families. 23.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.76 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the city, the population was spread out with 28.6% under the age of 18, 10.2% from 18 to 24, 32.8% from 25 to 44, 19.7% from 45 to 64, and 8.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 102.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $43,384, and the median income for a family was $48,167. Males had a median income of $31,577 versus $25,500 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,833. About 6.9% of families and 8.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.9% of those under age 18 and 2.9% of those age 65 or over.
Albany has a home rule charter, a council–manager government, and a full-time unelected city manager. The city provides the population with access to over 30 parks and trails, a senior center, and many cultural events such as River Rhythms and Mondays at Monteith. In addition to farming and manufacturing, the city’s economy depends on retail trade, health care, and social assistance. In recent years the city has worked to revive the downtown shopping area, with help from The Central Albany Revitalization Area.
PDX shuttle airport know, Albany Municipal Airport is a general aviation airport on the eastern edge of Albany and has been open since 1920 and is believed to be the oldest operating airfield in Oregon. In 1998, the airport became the first airport in Oregon to be named to the National Register of Historic Places, and was the City of Albany’s fourth National Historic District, and has been home to parts of the Northwest Art & Air Festival since its first air show in 1931. It has a single runway with the specs of 16–34 3,004 X 75, and is an asphalt runway. The closest airports with commercial air service available are the Eugene Airport to the south and the Portland International Airport to the north.
The station itself was constructed in 1909 for the Southern Pacific Railroad and is built of masonry. It is one of the oldest continuously operating passenger rail stations in the U.S. and has one of the best-equipped engine shops in the northwest. Southern Pacific 4449, a steam locomotive which resides at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center in Portland, occasionally visited the shop for repairs when it was residing at the Brooklyn Roundhouse in Portland (before 2012), as did several other locomotives stored at the now-demolished roundhouse. Beginning in 2004, the station and the surrounding area underwent an $11.3 million restoration that was funded with a combination of federal, state, local, and Amtrak money. In 2006 the city received the Award in Downtown Excellence from the Oregon Downtown Development Association for the renovation of the station.
Public transportation within Albany is provided by Albany Transit System (ATS). Connections to Corvallis are provided by bus service via the Linn-Benton Loop and the Valley Retriever Thruway inter-county bus systems. ATS, the Linn-Benton Loop, and the Valley Retriever all provide bus service to and from the Amtrak station.
Albany has both the Ellsworth Street Bridge which was constructed in 1926 and the Lyon Street Bridge bridge that was constructed in 1973. They are both two-lane bridges that make up part of U.S. Route 20. The two bridges connect Linn to the south with Benton County in the north as they pass across the Willamette River. This makes up the major connection of downtown Albany with the north end of town and to Corvallis.
Albany has made a growing effort to increase itself as a bicyclist friendly town through increasing the number of paths and trails that are open to them. The city was recently recognized as a Bicycle-Friendly Community for 2010 by the League of American Bicyclists for its efforts.
Albany is served by Samaritan Albany General Hospital, a 76-bed medical facility that is the main hospital for the city and has been in operation since 1924. Albany is also served by Samaritan North Albany Urgent Care and Geary Street Urgent Care, both of which are part of Samaritan Health Services. The unaffiliated Albany Family & Specialty Medicine also provides medical services to the community.
In the historic era, the area of the Willamette Valley that makes up modern-day Albany was inhabited by one of the tribes of the Kalapuya a Penutian-speaking, Native American people. The Kalapuya had named the area Takenah. a Kalapuyan word used to describe the deep pool at the confluence of the Calapooia and Willamette rivers. A variation of the place name can also be written as Tekenah.
The Kalapuya population in the valley was between 4,000 and 20,000 before contact with Europeans, but they suffered high mortality from new infectious diseases introduced shortly afterward. The tribes were decimated by a smallpoxepidemic that raged through the Pacific Northwest in 1782–83. A malaria outbreak swept through the region between 1830 and 1833. It is estimated that as many as 90 percent of the Kalapuya population died during this period. That, coupled with the treaties signed during the 1850s by the Kalapuya to cede land to the United States, left the area nearly free for European Americans to settle.
The first European American settler arrived in 1845; Abner Hackleman was a farmer from Iowa. Taking up a land claim for himself, Hackleman asked Hiram N. Smead to hold another for him until his son arrived from Iowa. In 1846, a year after arriving in Oregon, Hackleman died while returning to Iowa to fetch his family. In 1847 a pair of brothers, Walter and Thomas Monteith, settled in the area, after traveling by ox team along the Oregon Trail from their native state of New York. They were a family of early prominence in the area; in 1848, they bought a claim of 320 acres (1.3 km2) from Hiram Smead for $400 and a horse; they plotted out 60 acres (240,000 m2) for the town site. They named the city “Albany” after their hometown of Albany in New York. During the same period, Hackleman’s son Abram reached his father’s original land claim and built a log house in an oak grove still known as Hackleman’s Grove. He later built a house, which still stands at the corner of Fifth and Jackson. The small settlement that formed on the Hackleman land became known as the community of Takenah in 1849.
Sidewheel steamboat Occident, at Albany, near Red Crown Mills
View of bucolic Albany during the decade of the 1880s.
In 1871, the trains first reached Albany, connecting it to other towns in the valley. The arrival of the first train was celebrated as the greatest event in Albany’s history. Albany businessmen raised $50,000 to ensure that the rails would be built through the city, instead of bypassing it a few miles eastward. The train brought the farmers’ markets closer to the city, as stagecoaches and steamboats gave way to the railroad. The world’s longest wooden railroad drawbridge was built in 1888 for the Albany-Corvallis run. By 1910, 28 passenger trains departed daily from Albany going in five directions.
In 1916 Kuo-Ching Li, a Chinese-American engineer, founded Wah Chang Trading Corporation in New York State, but it was based in Albany. He developed it as an international tungsten ore and concentrate trading company, leading the company until his death in 1961. He served as president until 1960 and then board chairman 10 years later PDX shuttle airport created.
The U.S. Bureau of Mines established a research center on the former Albany College campus in 1942, focusing on the development of new metallurgical processes. First known as the Northwest Electro-development Facility, the site produced titanium and zirconium. It fostered the growth of a new rare metals industry in Albany, led by internationally recognized companies such as the Oregon Metallurgical Company, Oremet, and Wah Chang. In the 1970s, Albany attempted to extend its city limits to include a zirconium processing plant of Wah Chang Corporation in order to increase its industrial tax base. Wah Chang responded in 1974 by sponsoring a vote to incorporate the desired properties as Millersburg. When the Bureau of Mines closed in 1996, the facility was transferred to the United States Department of Energy‘s Office of Fossil Energy. In 2005 the facility became part of the National Energy Technology Laboratory.