The Estacada post office opened in February 1904 and the city was incorporated in May 1905. The community formed as a camp for workers building a hydroelectric dam on the nearby Clackamas River that was to supply Portland with electricity. At the time, the river was relatively inaccessible by road, forcing the Oregon Power Railway Company to build a railway to the vicinity of the river to transport crews to the river for the construction of the dam. After the construction of the Hotel Estacada, the town became a weekend destination on the railroad line for residents of Portland. During the week, the train carried freight and work crews to and from Portland. Following the development of the dams, the city became a hub for the logging industry. In the early 20th century, a trolley line connected the town with downtown Portland. The railway line has been removed and there is no longer rail service to Estacada.
The origin of the city’s name is disputed. One explanation is that the city’s name is a corruption of the names of a civic leader’s daughters, Esther and Katie, however, there is no evidence of their existence. Another theory states that:
Estacado is a Spanish word and it means “staked out” or “marked with stakes”. It was first suggested by George Kelly as a name for the town site at a meeting of the Oregon Water Power Townsite Company directors on December 27, 1903. Kelly had selected the name at random from a U.S. map showing Llano Estacado in Texas. If Kelly’s suggestion had not been drawn from the hat, the town could have been named Rochester, Lowell or Lynn. The name Estacada is also used in Arizona.
There were 1,062 households of which 35.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.8% were married couples living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 36.7% were non-families. 30.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.16.
The median age in the city was 35.7 years. 26.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.2% were from 25 to 44; 24.6% were from 45 to 64; and 12.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.8% male and 50.2% female.
TriMet‘s route 30 from Clackamas stops at Estacada City Hall Monday through Saturday. Sandy Area Metro (SAM) extends bus service from City Hall to Sandy on weekdays, with connections to Gresham, connecting with TriMet lines and MAX light rail there and you can use PDX shuttle airport instead of bus.
There are many historic landmarks throughout the city that you can access them by PDX shuttle airport from airport. The oldest standing structure is the Joel Palmer House, built in 1852 or 1857. It has been on the National Register of Historic Places since March 16, 1987, and has been painstakingly restored. Since 1996 it has been home to a four-star restaurant of the same name as the historic house.
Nearby, in Courthouse Square Park, is the Fort Yamhill Block House, which was brought to Dayton in 1911 to prevent its demolition. The structure had been built by Willamette Valley settlers on Fort Hill in the Grand Ronde Valley in 1855 and 1856. John G. Lewis, a citizen of Dayton, secured permission from authorities to move the logs to Dayton, where they were reassembled.
The City of Dayton is located in the heart of the beautiful Willamette Valley. It is situated just off Hwy 18 between McMinnville and Newberg and is centrally located 55 miles from the Pacific Ocean, 24 miles from the State Capital and 60 miles from Mt Hood that covered by PDX shuttle airport.
Rich in history, Dayton was founded in 1850 by General Joel Palmer and Andrew Smith. Incorporated in 1880, the history of Dayton dates back to Oregon’s beginning. The current population is 2635.
PDX shuttle airport find Dayton was the first city in the State of Oregon to be designated as a national historic resource. The numerous homes and buildings on the National Historic Register are easily viewed on a walking tour within the city. For walking tour brochures contact the City of Dayton at (503) 864-2221 or stop by City Hall at 416 Ferry Street, Dayton Oregon, Monday thru Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,534 people, 797 households, and 624 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,016.7 inhabitants per square mile (1,164.8/km2). There were 843 housing units at an average density of 1,003.6 per square mile (387.5/km2) these are reason that PDX shuttle airport cover Dayton. The racial makeup of the city was 79.2% White, 0.5% African American, 1.0% Native American, 0.9% Asian, 14.7% from other races, and 3.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 29.9% of the population.
There were 797 households of which 48.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, 14.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 21.7% were non-families. 15.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.18 and the average family size was 3.52.
The median age in the city was 32.8 years. 32.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.6% were from 25 to 44; 22.9% were from 45 to 64; and 10.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.6% male and 50.4% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,119 people, 641 households, and 516 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,935.4 people per square mile (1,136.3/km²). There were 656 housing units at an average density of 908.7 per square mile (351.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 80.70% White, 1.56% African American, 1.18% Native American, 0.52% Asian, 11.80% from other races, and 4.25% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 26.19% of the population.
There were 641 households out of which 49.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.4% were married couples living together, 15.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.5% were non-families. 15.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.31 and the average family size was 3.66.
In the city, the population was spread out with 36.7% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 30.2% from 25 to 44, 17.7% from 45 to 64, and 7.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 96.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,556, and the median income for a family was $43,047. Males had a median income of $32,500 versus $23,125 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,140. About 11.7% of families and 14.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.6% of those under age 18 and 12.5% of those age 65 or over.
Most famous historical places that you can find and visit by PDX shuttle airport in Dayton are here: Blockhouse
The Fort Yamhill Blockhouse is located in the NW corner of Courthouse Square Park and was orginally moved from Grand Ronde Valley in 1911 to honor Joel Palmer founder of Dayton and Superintendant of Indian Affairs.
Courthouse Square Park
Sometimes known as the Dayton City Park,Courthouse Square Park is the home of several historical items, including the Fort Yamhill Blockhouse, Bandstand and Fountain, a World War II Cannon and a replica of the old Fire Bell.
The Brookside Cemetery is located on Third Street just off Mill Street in Dayton, it is the resting ground of many Dayton Pioneers including Joel Palmer, founder of Dayton.
Founders of Dayton
General Joel Palmer and Andrew Smith
Settlers of Dayton’s Early History
Information regarding the Settlers of Dayton’s History was taken from the Dayton Centennial 1880-1980 Booklet. Copies of the Dayton Centennial can be purchased at Dayton City Hall.
Floods of the Dayton Area
The Yamhill River and the Dayton Town area have a history with flooding.
Steamboats of the Yamhill River
The Yamhill River is an important part of Dayton’s history, providing transportation for Dayton’s residents and the transportation of freight for local farmers and businesses.
Odd Fellows Cemetery (IOOF)
A listing of those buried in the International Order of the Odd Fellows Cemetery, located on Thompson Lane just outside of Dayton off highway 221.
Information was taken from the “Dayton Centennial 1880 – 1980”.
Troutdale is a community with a rich historic past. The area at the confluence of the Sandy and Columbia Rivers was “discovered” in the autumn of 1792 by Lt. Broughton and his men. The Crew was traveling aboard a British vessel under command of Captain George Vancouver who was aboard another vessel. They were ascending the Columbia River, when they reached a point just east of the mouth of the Sandy River. This point, immediately across the Sandy River from Troutdale, was named Broughton’s Bluff, many years later. Mount Hood, however, was seen and named on this location at that time.
The earliest settlers came in 1850 and 1851. Early donation land claims were filed by John Douglass, D.F. Buxton, Benjamin Hall, Stott and Hicklin. Family records credit David F. Buxton as Troutdale’s true founder. He filed a donation land claim in 1853 in the center of the present city of Troutdale. Buxton developed the town’s first primitive water system, which was in use until the 1960’s. He died in Troutdale in 1910.
PDX shuttle airport say However, it was Captain John Harlow, a former sea captain from Maine and successful Portland businessman, who conceived a plan for the town and made it happen. In 1872 he purchased part of Buxton’s land claim to build his country home. Because he raised trout in ponds on his farm, he called his farm “Troutdale.” He convinced the railroad to build a depot at the site of his farm so he could ship his produce. On November 20th in 1882, Troutdale had a rail line; an important step in becoming a bonafide town.
After Harlow’s death in 1883, Celestia, his widow, began platting a town with blocks and streets. Much of the city was built in 1890 and 1891. The first edition of Troutdale’s newspaper announced the opening of Aaron Fox’s new store, a restaurant, and included ads for a hardware store, surgeon, notary public and blacksmith.
The town’s major industry was the American Dressed Meat Company, later sold to become Portland’s Swift and Company. Other industries that rose were a lumber mill, a hotel and a distillery. The distillery burned in what was reported as a “bright blue flame” in the 1890’s.
Aaron Fox was instrumental in incorporating the City in 1907 and became its first mayor. It had become a town of saloons, and incorporation arose from the necessity to exercise some controls over them. Huge licensing fees precluded the need for city taxes.
In 1907, a disastrous fire swept through the city burning the 1890’s buildings. A church built on a hillside two blocks from the business district was one of the few 1890’s buildings that survived. Some homes also survived.
In 1914, two years after women got to vote in Oregon, Clara Latourell Larsson become mayor of Troutdale and one of Oregon’s earliest women mayors.
The Columbia River Highway was built and ran through Troutdale in 1916. Enterprising residents opened businesses, restaurants, tea rooms, hot dog stands and dance pavilions to feed and entertain the travelers.
In 1924, Laura Harlow, daughter-in-law of Captain John Harlow was elected Mayor of the city.
In 1925, a second fire mostly destroyed the business district. This fire is believed to have resulted from an explosion of a still in the garage of John Larsson, the former mayor’s husband. The Tiller Hotel and Helming’s Saloon, both built after the first 1907 fire, are two of the pre-1925 buildings left in the business district today.
John Harlow’s original house was torn down in the 1920’s. The only original building remaining was the home of his son, Fred, built in 1900 on the original farm site. That building is now the Harlow House Museum of the Troutdale Historical Society. The original rail depot burned in 1907 and was replaced by a second depot that is now the Rail Museum. It was moved from its original location to its present site in 1979.
In the 1920’s, Troutdale claimed the title of the “Celery Capital of the World” as a result of prize winning celery grown here. But farmers also grew wonderful produce and gladiola bulbs… grown in the area’s fertile, sandy soil and shipped all over the nation by rail.
The Troutdale City Hall was completed in 1923. The original wood dance floor is now covered by city offices. The dances were an important part of Troutdale’s social life for years.
Construction of an aluminum plant was a boon to the economy in the mid 1940’s, but eventually its emissions ended the gladiola industry and damaged other crops. Completion of Interstate 84 in the 1950’s pulled traffic off the Columbia River Highway and away from Troutdale. The City remained fairly quiet during the 1950’s.
Suddenly in the 1960’s, Portland suburbanites discovered Troutdale and the City built its first subdivision and made plans for a new sewage treatment plant. Under the guidance of Mayor Glenn Otto, who later became a state senator and statewide leader, the city boundaries expanded from 320 to more than 2000 acres.
There were 5,671 households of which 40.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.7% were married couples living together, 12.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 25.8% were non-families. 18.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.20.
The median age in the city was 34 years. 27.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 9.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.9% were from 25 to 44; 27.1% were from 45 to 64; and 7.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.0% male and 51.0% female.
PDX shuttle airport know Cornelius is a city in Washington County, Oregon, United States. The population was 9,652 at the 2000 census. The 2007 estimate is 10,895 residents.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.9 square miles (4.9 km²), all of it land.
PDX shuttle airport find As of the census of 2000, there were 9,652 people, 2,880 households, and 2,246 families residing in the city. The population density was 5,095.9 people per square mile (1,971.8/km²). There were 3,003 housing units at an average density of 1,585.5 per square mile (613.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 37.39% White, 0.76% African American, 1.24% Native American, 1.04% Asian, 0.28% Pacific Islander, 24.32% from other races, and 3.76% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 68.61% of the population.
PDX shuttle airport know The first post office in the area was Ekins, established in 1881. Dundee is named in honor of the birthplace of William Reid, Dundee, Scotland. Reid came to Oregon in 1874 to establish the Oregonian Railway, and made several extensions to the railroad in the western Willamette Valley. The Ekins post office was closed in 1885 and a new office opened in 1887, named “Dundee Junction”. The name derived from plans to build a bridge across the Willamette River for the railroad, which would have called for a junction at Dundee between the west railroad and the new east railroad. The bridge was never built, however, and the post office was renamed “Dundee” in 1897.
There were 1,136 households of which 41.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.4% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.9% had a male householder with no wife present, and 23.8% were non-families. 19.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.15.
The median age in the city was 36.7 years. 27.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 29.3% were from 25 to 44; 26.1% were from 45 to 64; and 10.2% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.3% male and 49.7% female.
There were 553 households of which 57.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.5% were married couples living together, 13.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 7.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 19.5% were non-families. 14.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.21 and the average family size was 3.54.
The median age in the city was 29.5 years. 37.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.4% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 31.7% were from 25 to 44; 19.2% were from 45 to 64; and 3.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.6% male and 49.4% female.
Portland is situated midway between a low coastal range to the west and the higher Cascade Range to the east, each starting their rise about 30 miles from the city that support with PDX shuttle airport. Both ranges are visible from the city. The natural landscape is heavily forested with large, coniferous trees. The climate is marine with a strong winter rainfall pattern. Almost 90% of annual precipitation occurs October through May. July and August are almost completely dry. There are only 5 days each year with measurable snow. The winter season is characterized by relatively mild temperatures, cloudy skies, and rain. Occasional cold spells with snow and freezing rain can occur when continental air invades. Summer produces pleasantly mild temperatures, northwesterly winds, and very little precipitation. First freeze is early November, last is early May.
As of the census of 2010, there were 918 people, 336 households, and 256 families residing in the city one of the reason that PDX shuttle airport support this area. The population density was 1,912.5 inhabitants per square mile (738.4/km2). There were 349 housing units at an average density of 727.1 per square mile (280.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 89.7% White, 0.5% African American, 0.9% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 6.3% from other races, and 2.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.9% of the population.
There were 336 households of which 37.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.0% were married couples living together, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 23.8% were non-families. 18.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.12.
The median age in the city was 39.6 years. 27.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.5% were from 25 to 44; 31.8% were from 45 to 64; and 10.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 51.6% male and 48.4% female.
There are five accessible sections with PDX shuttle airport in Portland, Oregon and 95 officially recognized neighborhoods, each of which is represented by a volunteer-based neighborhood association. These associations serve as the liaison between residents and the city government, as coordinated by the city’s Office of Neighborhood Involvement (ONI). The city subsequently provides funding to this “network of neighborhoods” through district coalitions, which are groupings of neighborhood associations.
Downtown Portland lies in the Southwest section between the I-405 freeway loop and the Willamette River, centered on Pioneer Courthouse Square (“Portland’s living room”). Downtown and many other parts of inner Portland have compact square blocks (200 ft [60 m] on a side) and narrow streets (64 ft [20 m] wide), a pedestrian-friendly combination you now that support all of those areas by PDX shuttle airport .
Many of Portland’s recreational, cultural, educational, governmental, business, and retail resources are concentrated downtown, including:
The south Willamette riverfront along SW Macadam Ave., over 100 acres (0.4 km²) of former industrial land. This area is undergoing redevelopment as a mixed-use, high-density neighborhood, with an anticipated 2,700 residential units and 5,000 high-tech jobs after build-out.
Northwest Portland includes the Pearl District, most of Old Town Chinatown, the Northwest District, and various residential and industrial neighborhoods. A range of streets primarily in Northwest Portland is named alphabetically from Ankeny through York (the street following York is Reed Street). The street between Wilson and York was called “X Street” until it was renamed as Roosevelt Street. Burnside Street, the “B” in the sequence, divides the Northeast and Northwest quadrants of the city from the Southeast and Southwest.
The Pearl District is a recent name for a former warehouse and industrial area just north of downtown. Many of the warehouses have been converted into lofts, and new multistory condominiums have also been developed on previously vacant land. The increasing density has attracted a mix of restaurants, brewpubs, shops, and art galleries. The galleries sponsor simultaneous artists’ receptions every month, in an event known as First Thursday.
Between the Pearl District and the Willamette is the Old Town Chinatown neighborhood. It includes Portland’s Chinatown, marked by a pair of lions at its entrance at NW 4th Ave. and W Burnside St. and home to the Portland Classical Chinese Garden. Before World War II, this area was known as Japan Town; Chinatown was previously located just south of W. Burnside St. along the riverfront.
Farther west is the compact but thriving NW 21st and 23rd Avenue restaurant and retail area, the core of the Northwest District. Parts of this area are also called Uptown and Nob Hill. Nicknames include Snob Hill and Trendy Third. The residential areas adjacent to the shopping district include the Alphabet Historic District (with large Victorian and Craftsman homes built in the years before and shortly after 1900) and a large district centered on Wallace Park. The neighborhood has a mix of Victorian-era houses, apartment buildings from throughout the 20th century, and various businesses centered on Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center. The Portland Streetcar connects Nob Hill to downtown, via the Pearl.
West of the developed areas is the northern portion of Portland’s West Hills, including the majority of extensive Forest Park and the Willamette Heights, Hillside, Sylvan, Skyline and Forest Heights neighborhoods.
North Portland is a diverse mixture of residential, commercial, and industrial areas. It includes the Portland International Raceway, the University of Portland, and massive cargo facilities of the Port of Portland. Slang-names for it include “NoPo” (classist pun, shortened from North Portland) and “the Fifth Quadrant” (for being the odd-man out from the four-cornered logic of SE, NE, SW, and NW).
North Portland is connected to the industrial area of Northwest Portland by the St. Johns Bridge, a 2,067 ft (630.0 m) long suspension bridge completed in 1931 and extensively rehabilitated in 2003-05.
During World War II, a planned development named Vanport was constructed to the north of this section between the city limits and the Columbia River. It grew to be the second largest city in Oregon, but was wiped out by a disastrous flood in 1948. Columbia Villa, another wartime housing project in the Portsmouth Neighborhood, is being rebuilt; the renewed community opened in 2005 is known as New Columbia and offers public housing, rental housing, and single family home ownership units. Since 2004, a light rail line runs along Interstate Avenue, which parallels I-5, stopping short of crossing the Columbia River.
Northeast Portland contains a diverse collection of neighborhoods. For example, while Irvington and the Alameda Ridge feature some of the oldest and most expensive homes in Portland, nearby King is a more working-class neighborhood. Because it is so large, Northeast Portland can essentially be divided ethnically, culturally, and geographically into inner and outer sections. The inner Northeast neighborhoods that surround Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. were once predominantly African American, resembling typical urban inner-city environments found in most major U.S. cities. However, the demographics are now changing due to the process of gentrification. In 2010, the King neighborhood was 25.9% Black or African-American, a 41.3% decrease since 2000. Inner Northeast includes several shopping areas, such as the Lloyd District, Alberta Arts District (Portland, Oregon) and Hollywood, and part of the affluent Irvington, Alameda, Grant Park and Laurelhurst neighborhoods and nearby developments. The city plan targets Lloyd District as another mixed-use area, with high-density residential development.
Straddling the base of the borders of North and Northeast is the Rose Quarter. It is named after the Rose Garden, home of the Portland Trail Blazers (now named the Moda Center), and also includes the Blazers’ former home, the Memorial Coliseum. The Coliseum is the home to Portland’s hockey team, the Portland Winter Hawks, of the Western Hockey League, though they often play at the Moda Center. The newest Rose Quarter tenants are the LumberJax of the National Lacrosse League. The city still holds the lease to the land and owns the Coliseum, but the Moda Center and other buildings were owned by private business interests until they went into receivership. The area is quite active during the teams’ home games, and the city hopes to extend the activity by promoting a major increase in residential units in the quarter using zoning and tax incentives.
At the base of Northeast where its border meets Southeast, an area near the Burnside Bridge has been redeveloped into a bustling nightlife and entertainment district. The area features bars like The Chesterfield and music venues like The Doug Fir Lounge. In 2006, the area was established enough to get its own nickname: LoBU.
Southeast Portland stretches from the warehouses along the Willamette through historic Ladd’s Addition to the Hawthorne and Belmont districts out to Gresham. Southeast Portland has blue-collar roots and has evolved to encompass a wide mix of backgrounds. The Hawthorne district in particular is known for its hippie/radical crowd and small sub culturally oriented shops; not far away is Reed College, whose campus expands from Woodstock Boulevard to Steele Street, and from the 28th to the 39th Avenues.
Between the 1920s and the 1960s, Southeast was home to Lambert Gardens. Southeast Portland also features Mt. Tabor, a cinder cone volcano that has become one of Portland’s more scenic and popular parks. Peacock Lane is a street known locally for lavish Christmas decorations and displays.
Albany has a home rule charter, a council–manager government, and a full-time unelected city manager. The city provides the population with access to over 30 parks and trails, a senior center, and many cultural events such as River Rhythms and Mondays at Monteith. In addition to farming and manufacturing, the city’s economy depends on retail trade, health care, and social assistance. In recent years the city has worked to revive the downtown shopping area, with help from The Central Albany Revitalization Area.
PDX shuttle airport know, Albany Municipal Airport is a general aviation airport on the eastern edge of Albany and has been open since 1920 and is believed to be the oldest operating airfield in Oregon. In 1998, the airport became the first airport in Oregon to be named to the National Register of Historic Places, and was the City of Albany’s fourth National Historic District, and has been home to parts of the Northwest Art & Air Festival since its first air show in 1931. It has a single runway with the specs of 16–34 3,004 X 75, and is an asphalt runway. The closest airports with commercial air service available are the Eugene Airport to the south and the Portland International Airport to the north.
The station itself was constructed in 1909 for the Southern Pacific Railroad and is built of masonry. It is one of the oldest continuously operating passenger rail stations in the U.S. and has one of the best-equipped engine shops in the northwest. Southern Pacific 4449, a steam locomotive which resides at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center in Portland, occasionally visited the shop for repairs when it was residing at the Brooklyn Roundhouse in Portland (before 2012), as did several other locomotives stored at the now-demolished roundhouse. Beginning in 2004, the station and the surrounding area underwent an $11.3 million restoration that was funded with a combination of federal, state, local, and Amtrak money. In 2006 the city received the Award in Downtown Excellence from the Oregon Downtown Development Association for the renovation of the station.
Public transportation within Albany is provided by Albany Transit System (ATS). Connections to Corvallis are provided by bus service via the Linn-Benton Loop and the Valley Retriever Thruway inter-county bus systems. ATS, the Linn-Benton Loop, and the Valley Retriever all provide bus service to and from the Amtrak station.
Albany has both the Ellsworth Street Bridge which was constructed in 1926 and the Lyon Street Bridge bridge that was constructed in 1973. They are both two-lane bridges that make up part of U.S. Route 20. The two bridges connect Linn to the south with Benton County in the north as they pass across the Willamette River. This makes up the major connection of downtown Albany with the north end of town and to Corvallis.
Albany has made a growing effort to increase itself as a bicyclist friendly town through increasing the number of paths and trails that are open to them. The city was recently recognized as a Bicycle-Friendly Community for 2010 by the League of American Bicyclists for its efforts.
Albany is served by Samaritan Albany General Hospital, a 76-bed medical facility that is the main hospital for the city and has been in operation since 1924. Albany is also served by Samaritan North Albany Urgent Care and Geary Street Urgent Care, both of which are part of Samaritan Health Services. The unaffiliated Albany Family & Specialty Medicine also provides medical services to the community.
In the historic era, the area of the Willamette Valley that makes up modern-day Albany was inhabited by one of the tribes of the Kalapuya a Penutian-speaking, Native American people. The Kalapuya had named the area Takenah. a Kalapuyan word used to describe the deep pool at the confluence of the Calapooia and Willamette rivers. A variation of the place name can also be written as Tekenah.
The Kalapuya population in the valley was between 4,000 and 20,000 before contact with Europeans, but they suffered high mortality from new infectious diseases introduced shortly afterward. The tribes were decimated by a smallpoxepidemic that raged through the Pacific Northwest in 1782–83. A malaria outbreak swept through the region between 1830 and 1833. It is estimated that as many as 90 percent of the Kalapuya population died during this period. That, coupled with the treaties signed during the 1850s by the Kalapuya to cede land to the United States, left the area nearly free for European Americans to settle.
The first European American settler arrived in 1845; Abner Hackleman was a farmer from Iowa. Taking up a land claim for himself, Hackleman asked Hiram N. Smead to hold another for him until his son arrived from Iowa. In 1846, a year after arriving in Oregon, Hackleman died while returning to Iowa to fetch his family. In 1847 a pair of brothers, Walter and Thomas Monteith, settled in the area, after traveling by ox team along the Oregon Trail from their native state of New York. They were a family of early prominence in the area; in 1848, they bought a claim of 320 acres (1.3 km2) from Hiram Smead for $400 and a horse; they plotted out 60 acres (240,000 m2) for the town site. They named the city “Albany” after their hometown of Albany in New York. During the same period, Hackleman’s son Abram reached his father’s original land claim and built a log house in an oak grove still known as Hackleman’s Grove. He later built a house, which still stands at the corner of Fifth and Jackson. The small settlement that formed on the Hackleman land became known as the community of Takenah in 1849.
Sidewheel steamboat Occident, at Albany, near Red Crown Mills
View of bucolic Albany during the decade of the 1880s.
In 1871, the trains first reached Albany, connecting it to other towns in the valley. The arrival of the first train was celebrated as the greatest event in Albany’s history. Albany businessmen raised $50,000 to ensure that the rails would be built through the city, instead of bypassing it a few miles eastward. The train brought the farmers’ markets closer to the city, as stagecoaches and steamboats gave way to the railroad. The world’s longest wooden railroad drawbridge was built in 1888 for the Albany-Corvallis run. By 1910, 28 passenger trains departed daily from Albany going in five directions.
In 1916 Kuo-Ching Li, a Chinese-American engineer, founded Wah Chang Trading Corporation in New York State, but it was based in Albany. He developed it as an international tungsten ore and concentrate trading company, leading the company until his death in 1961. He served as president until 1960 and then board chairman 10 years later PDX shuttle airport created.
The U.S. Bureau of Mines established a research center on the former Albany College campus in 1942, focusing on the development of new metallurgical processes. First known as the Northwest Electro-development Facility, the site produced titanium and zirconium. It fostered the growth of a new rare metals industry in Albany, led by internationally recognized companies such as the Oregon Metallurgical Company, Oremet, and Wah Chang. In the 1970s, Albany attempted to extend its city limits to include a zirconium processing plant of Wah Chang Corporation in order to increase its industrial tax base. Wah Chang responded in 1974 by sponsoring a vote to incorporate the desired properties as Millersburg. When the Bureau of Mines closed in 1996, the facility was transferred to the United States Department of Energy‘s Office of Fossil Energy. In 2005 the facility became part of the National Energy Technology Laboratory.
As one of Portland’s first shuttle services, we understand that customer satisfaction is the key to success. That is why we promise to make your transportation experience affordable, safe, and hassle-free
Beaverton Airporter Company has been providing transportation to and from the Portland International Airport (PDX shuttle airport), started the airport shuttle industry in Portland OR since 1973 when the small passenger transport industry was deregulated. The brand offered a value based, airport focussed, door-to-door service that was an alternative to expensive taxis and that was much more convenient than a bus.
During the first two years of operation, Beaverton Airporter continued to refine its pioneering shared ride service – leading the market with its shared ride fixed pricing that enabled further discounts for small groups travelling together. The Auckland Super Shuttle service proved to be hugely popular with the travelling public with its convenient, cost effective tourism transport service focussed on getting people to and from the airport. Beaverton Airporter wanted to provide a market leading service during this expansion phase and realised that this could be achieved through contracting owner driver franchisees.
During the late 90’s and early 00’s, the company embarked upon a total restructure of the business combining the Beaverton Airporter and Johnston’s Shuttle Link brands, rebranding Beaverton Airporter and Custom Transfers & Tours.
http://beavertonairporter.com/ +1 (503) 760 6565 PDX shuttle airport