Season is here, and I’ve been sharing itinerary ideas to help get you started.
So far we’ve hit the southeast with an America’s Best Barbecue pilgrimage and the northeast
with a New England’s Literary Treasures itinerary. Up next: The
side of Portland lie the
Willamette Valley’s vineyards that produce some of the country’s best pinot
noirs. It’s a greener, more rustic version of Napa; the vineyards are less
manicured, the mood more relaxed. On the other side of the city lie dramatic
gorges and waterfalls where the Columbia River cuts through the Cascade
Mountains. You could spend a week oohing and aahing your way along the back
roads in this part of the country. Heck, you could even take a few summer ski
runs down a volcano, on the only slopes in the U.S. that are open year-round. If you’ve only got a weekend,
though, you can base yourself in Portland and still get a flavorful taste of
the area. Here’s how:
Portland (1), head southwest on 99W into the Willamette Valley, stopping at any
of the many picturesque wineries whose vistas and tasting rooms will
beckon. Ponzi Vineyards (2) is a must—you can taste
leading pinots and pick up some Ponzi Reserve for a picnic lunch later—as
is Beaux Freres (3) (email ahead to make an
appointment for a tour and tasting). At lunchtime, grab some local provisions
and head to Erath Vineyards (5) for your picnic with
sweeping views of the Jory Hills of Dundee. Don’t miss Domaine Drouhin (6) and Archery Summit (7) en route to McMinnville, a
hub of excellent shops and restaurants. Choose Nick’s Italian Café (8), an Oregon wine country
institution, where you can shoot pool with local winemakers and taste any wines
you may have missed in the vineyards. Drive—carefully—back to Portland.
head east along the historic Columbia
River Gorge Scenic Highway (1). Make quick pit stops at the Portland Women’s Forum State Scenic
in Corbett and at Vista House (3) at Crown Point for the
stunning views of towering cliffs and waterfalls. Consider a morning hike to
the top of Multnomah Falls (4), a 542-foot plume that
plummets into a forest grotto, or along the Eagle Creek Trail to Metlako Falls
and Punch Bowl Falls (5). At the town of Hood River,
if it’s a clear day, make the 25-mile detour to Lost Lake (6) for its spectacular views
of Mount Hood, the greatest of the Oregon Cascades. Continue south on Route 35
through the fruit orchards of the Hood River Valley, stopping to pick your own
apples, cherries, peaches, and tomatoes. Where Route 35 meets Highway 26, make
a quick detour to Timberline Lodge (7), a National Historic
Landmark that you might recognize from the movie “The Shining.” (If you had
more time, you could squeeze in the aforementioned summer skiing.) Back on 26,
wend your way west, through forest and Cascades, back to Portland.
The city encompasses 15.5 square miles (40 km2) and is on a plateau, at an elevation of 3,077 feet (938 m). Redmond is 15 miles (24 km) north of Bend—the county seat of Deschutes County—144 miles (232 km) from Portland, 129 miles (208 km) from Salem—the capital of Oregon—and 126 miles (203 km) from Eugene.
Redmond was named after Frank T. Redmond, who settled in the area in 1905. It was platted in 1906 by a company which would become part of Central Oregon Irrigation District building a canal. Electrification and the Oregon Trunk Railway reached Redmond in 1911. The rail link opened markets for farmers and merchants. By 1930, the town had grown to 1,000 and by 1940 had nearly doubled. In the 1940s, Redmond was a U.S. Army Air base and commercial air service was established at Roberts Field after World War II. In the 1950s, 60s, 70s, and most of the 80s, the population remained relatively static, growing slowly around a small commercial/retail center and manufacturing industry. However, during the 1990s, the population began to grow along with most of Deschutes County.Transportation to PDXknow between 2000 and 2006, Redmond’s population grew 74.3%, making it among Oregon’s fastest-growing cities each year. This growth continued through 2006, increasing the population to 23,500. Its growth is fueled by employment and a lower cost of living.
There were 9,947 households of which 38.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.7% were married couples living together, 13.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 31.7% were non-families. 24.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.07.
The median age in the city was 33.9 years. 27.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 28.8% were from 25 to 44; 21.9% were from 45 to 64; and 12.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.3% male and 51.7% female.
A BNSF main line runs north-south through the city; there are numerous spurs off of the main line which serve industrial rail customers. The closest Amtrak service is in the town of Chemult, approximately 75 miles (121 km) to the south; this station is served by the Coast Starlight route.
On October 6, 1902, the business district of the city burned and losses were estimated at $100,000. The local fire department’s power was insufficient to handle the fire so Portland and Salem were called upon to help. Unfortunately they were unable to respond in time to help. In little over an hour all but two of the businesses in the town had burned to the ground.
PDX shuttle airport know In the late 1960s, Russian Old Believers established a small colony between Gervais and Mt. Angel. As of 2002, Oregon had the highest population of Old Believers in the United States.
There were 579 households of which 61.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.6% were married couples living together, 15.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 8.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 12.6% were non-families. 7.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 1.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.25 and the average family size was 4.40.
The median age in the city was 26.3 years. 37.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 10.6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 30.6% were from 25 to 44; 17.8% were from 45 to 64; and 3.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 52.5% male and 47.5% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,009 people, 452 households, and 391 families residing in the city. The population density was 5,133.7 people per square mile (1,988.9/km²). There were 477 housing units at an average density of 1,218.9 per square mile (472.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 40.32% White, 0.35% African American, 1.54% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 52.91% from other races, and 4.53% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 65.21% of the population.
There were 452 households out of which 59.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.8% were married couples living together, 9.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 13.3% were non-families. 9.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.39 and the average family size was 4.45.
In the city, the population was spread out with 37.7% under the age of 18, 12.9% from 18 to 24, 34.0% from 25 to 44, 10.6% from 45 to 64, and 4.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 24 years. For every 100 females, there were 120.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 132.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $43,882, and the median income for a family was $44,118. Males had a median income of $21,490 versus $21,167 for females. The per capita income for the city was $10,862. About 13.3% of families and 17.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.9% of those under age 18 and 11.0% of those age 65 or over.
Officially incorporated on June 18, 1906, the city is named after the camas lily, a plant with an onion-like bulb prized by Native Americans. At the west end of downtown Camas is a large Georgia-Pacific paper mill from which the high school teams get their name, “the Papermakers”. A paper mill was first established in the city in 1883 with the support of Henry Pittock, a wealthy entrepreneur from England who had settled in Portland, Oregon, where he published The Oregonian.
Pittock’s LaCamas Colony bought 2600 acres in 1883, forming the Columbia River Paper Company the following year to begin production in 1885, before merging with Oregon City‘s Crown Paper Company to form Crown Columbia Paper in 1905. Converting from steam to electricity in 1913, it then merged with Willamette Paper in 1914 and then again in 1928 with Zellerbach Paper to become the largest paper company on the west coast, Crown Zellerbach. Changing from newsprint to toilet tissue in 1930, it temporarily produced shipyard parts during the Second World War. In 1950 it was the first factory to produce folded paper napkins.”Crown Z” was the area’s biggest employer in 1971, with 2,643 of approximately 3,700 Clark County paper-mill workers. Various other mergers took place, until Georgia-Pacific‘s mill was the sole property of Koch Industries. In 2018, Koch announced plans to lay off approximately 200-300 workers, shutting down all equipment related to communications paper, fine paper conversion and pulping operations.
The city is about 20 miles (32 km) east of Portland. Historically, the commercial base of the city was almost solely the paper mill; however, the diversity of industries has been enhanced considerably in recent years by the influx of several white-collar, high-tech companies. These include Hewlett-Packard, Sharp Microelectronics, Linear Technology, WaferTech and Underwriters Labs. Annual events include the summer “Camas Days”, as well as other festivals and celebrations.
There are numerous parks in Camas and within the Camas area, including:
Lacamas Park encompasses Round Lake and runs against SR 500 on its west side. Across SR 500 is Lacamas Lake. The park is open year-round from 7 a.m. to dusk and includes barbecues, a play ground, trails around the park and lake, and access to the Camas Potholes.
The park features a network of trails which lead to the Camas Potholes and the Camas lily fields. A 1.2-mile (1.9 km) trail that loops around Round Lake starts and finishes near the parking lot. The park is a popular destination for Geocachers, as it contains numerous caches scattered around the park. Young children may play in a small playground on the west side of the park. Tables are provided for picnicking, as are waste receptacles designed to receive hot coals from grilling. Bathrooms are available on a seasonal basis only.
Heritage Park has facilities for launching boats into Lacamas Lake, a playground for young children, lots of open field, and small trails through the trees. The parking lot is very large and includes numerous long parking stalls to accommodate vehicles with trailers.
There were 6,619 households of which 46.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.7% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 20.8% were non-families. 16.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.91 and the average family size was 3.27.
The median age in the city was 36.9 years. 31.1% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.1% were from 25 to 44; 26.8% were from 45 to 64; and 8.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.6% male and 50.4% female.
The Estacada post office opened in February 1904 and the city was incorporated in May 1905. The community formed as a camp for workers building a hydroelectric dam on the nearby Clackamas River that was to supply Portland with electricity. At the time, the river was relatively inaccessible by road, forcing the Oregon Power Railway Company to build a railway to the vicinity of the river to transport crews to the river for the construction of the dam. After the construction of the Hotel Estacada, the town became a weekend destination on the railroad line for residents of Portland. During the week, the train carried freight and work crews to and from Portland. Following the development of the dams, the city became a hub for the logging industry. In the early 20th century, a trolley line connected the town with downtown Portland. The railway line has been removed and there is no longer rail service to Estacada.
The origin of the city’s name is disputed. One explanation is that the city’s name is a corruption of the names of a civic leader’s daughters, Esther and Katie, however, there is no evidence of their existence. Another theory states that:
Estacado is a Spanish word and it means “staked out” or “marked with stakes”. It was first suggested by George Kelly as a name for the town site at a meeting of the Oregon Water Power Townsite Company directors on December 27, 1903. Kelly had selected the name at random from a U.S. map showing Llano Estacado in Texas. If Kelly’s suggestion had not been drawn from the hat, the town could have been named Rochester, Lowell or Lynn. The name Estacada is also used in Arizona.
There were 1,062 households of which 35.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.8% were married couples living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 36.7% were non-families. 30.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.16.
The median age in the city was 35.7 years. 26.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.2% were from 25 to 44; 24.6% were from 45 to 64; and 12.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.8% male and 50.2% female.
TriMet‘s route 30 from Clackamas stops at Estacada City Hall Monday through Saturday. Sandy Area Metro (SAM) extends bus service from City Hall to Sandy on weekdays, with connections to Gresham, connecting with TriMet lines and MAX light rail there and you can use PDX shuttle airport instead of bus.
There are many historic landmarks throughout the city that you can access them by PDX shuttle airport from airport. The oldest standing structure is the Joel Palmer House, built in 1852 or 1857. It has been on the National Register of Historic Places since March 16, 1987, and has been painstakingly restored. Since 1996 it has been home to a four-star restaurant of the same name as the historic house.
Nearby, in Courthouse Square Park, is the Fort Yamhill Block House, which was brought to Dayton in 1911 to prevent its demolition. The structure had been built by Willamette Valley settlers on Fort Hill in the Grand Ronde Valley in 1855 and 1856. John G. Lewis, a citizen of Dayton, secured permission from authorities to move the logs to Dayton, where they were reassembled.
The City of Dayton is located in the heart of the beautiful Willamette Valley. It is situated just off Hwy 18 between McMinnville and Newberg and is centrally located 55 miles from the Pacific Ocean, 24 miles from the State Capital and 60 miles from Mt Hood that covered by PDX shuttle airport.
Rich in history, Dayton was founded in 1850 by General Joel Palmer and Andrew Smith. Incorporated in 1880, the history of Dayton dates back to Oregon’s beginning. The current population is 2635.
PDX shuttle airport find Dayton was the first city in the State of Oregon to be designated as a national historic resource. The numerous homes and buildings on the National Historic Register are easily viewed on a walking tour within the city. For walking tour brochures contact the City of Dayton at (503) 864-2221 or stop by City Hall at 416 Ferry Street, Dayton Oregon, Monday thru Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,534 people, 797 households, and 624 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,016.7 inhabitants per square mile (1,164.8/km2). There were 843 housing units at an average density of 1,003.6 per square mile (387.5/km2) these are reason that PDX shuttle airport cover Dayton. The racial makeup of the city was 79.2% White, 0.5% African American, 1.0% Native American, 0.9% Asian, 14.7% from other races, and 3.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 29.9% of the population.
There were 797 households of which 48.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, 14.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 21.7% were non-families. 15.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.18 and the average family size was 3.52.
The median age in the city was 32.8 years. 32.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.6% were from 25 to 44; 22.9% were from 45 to 64; and 10.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.6% male and 50.4% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,119 people, 641 households, and 516 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,935.4 people per square mile (1,136.3/km²). There were 656 housing units at an average density of 908.7 per square mile (351.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 80.70% White, 1.56% African American, 1.18% Native American, 0.52% Asian, 11.80% from other races, and 4.25% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 26.19% of the population.
There were 641 households out of which 49.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.4% were married couples living together, 15.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.5% were non-families. 15.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.31 and the average family size was 3.66.
In the city, the population was spread out with 36.7% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 30.2% from 25 to 44, 17.7% from 45 to 64, and 7.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 96.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,556, and the median income for a family was $43,047. Males had a median income of $32,500 versus $23,125 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,140. About 11.7% of families and 14.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.6% of those under age 18 and 12.5% of those age 65 or over.
Most famous historical places that you can find and visit by PDX shuttle airport in Dayton are here: Blockhouse
The Fort Yamhill Blockhouse is located in the NW corner of Courthouse Square Park and was orginally moved from Grand Ronde Valley in 1911 to honor Joel Palmer founder of Dayton and Superintendant of Indian Affairs.
Courthouse Square Park
Sometimes known as the Dayton City Park,Courthouse Square Park is the home of several historical items, including the Fort Yamhill Blockhouse, Bandstand and Fountain, a World War II Cannon and a replica of the old Fire Bell.
The Brookside Cemetery is located on Third Street just off Mill Street in Dayton, it is the resting ground of many Dayton Pioneers including Joel Palmer, founder of Dayton.
Founders of Dayton
General Joel Palmer and Andrew Smith
Settlers of Dayton’s Early History
Information regarding the Settlers of Dayton’s History was taken from the Dayton Centennial 1880-1980 Booklet. Copies of the Dayton Centennial can be purchased at Dayton City Hall.
Floods of the Dayton Area
The Yamhill River and the Dayton Town area have a history with flooding.
Steamboats of the Yamhill River
The Yamhill River is an important part of Dayton’s history, providing transportation for Dayton’s residents and the transportation of freight for local farmers and businesses.
Odd Fellows Cemetery (IOOF)
A listing of those buried in the International Order of the Odd Fellows Cemetery, located on Thompson Lane just outside of Dayton off highway 221.
Information was taken from the “Dayton Centennial 1880 – 1980”.
Molalla was named after the Molalla River, which in turn was named for the Molala, a Native American tribe that inhabited the area. William H. Vaughan took up a donation land claim in the area in 1844. Molalla post office was established in 1850, near the site of Liberal, and was discontinued in 1851. The post office was reestablished in 1868 and it ran until 1874, then was reestablished in 1876, which is when it was probably placed at the present location of Molalla.
Since the late 1990s the city has been experiencing a surge in growth and expansion in the residential sector. A number of business franchises have located in Molalla since 2000. In 2005, Molalla installed its first stoplight, at the intersection of Oregon Route 211 and Oregon Route 213, because of the traffic brought by the increased business activity.
Molalla is located in the foothills of the Cascade Range, near the Mount Hood National Forest, 15 miles (24 km) south of Oregon City and 13 miles from Interstate 5. Molalla is surrounded by farms and rural residential development. There are many rock quarries, and thousands of acres of private timberlands, that feed natural resource materials into the economy. Several of the tree farms are managed for totally maintained and sustained forest.
There were 2,857 households of which 44.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.9% were married couples living together, 12.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 27.7% were non-families. 22.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.82 and the average family size was 3.30.
The median age in the city was 31.4 years. 30.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 31.4% were from 25 to 44; 19.6% were from 45 to 64; and 9.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.4% male and 50.6% female.
Molalla’s principal road links are Oregon routes 211 and 213. Route 213, heading north, links Molalla to Oregon City and Portland. Heading south, Route 213 connects Molalla to Silverton and Salem. Route 211, which intersects Route 213, connects the city to Canby and Woodburn to the west, and Colton, Estacada, and Sandy to the east.
Molalla does not have a rail link within city limits anymore, PDX shuttle airport know although it was formerly served by the Oregon Pacific Railroad. The Oregon Pacific tracks now end at Liberal, 3 miles (5 km) to the north. The closest Amtrak station is in Oregon City.
Molalla is the home of the Molalla Buckeroo rodeo (it began in 1913, the same time as the city was founded) and the Apple Festival. The Pacific Coast Freestyle Championships, a model airplane aerobatic tournament, has been held there for 14 years in late July. Several Latino rodeos are held at the rodeo facility by “La Fortuna” in spring, mid-summer, late summer and fall, bringing tens of thousands of Latino families to celebrate in the community. The Fourth of July Parade, sponsored by the Molalla Area Chamber of Commerce, often sports 50,000 spectators. Many other minor festivals—Second Friday, Halloween on Main Street, Christmas in the City, Spring Fling, Easter Egg Hunt in the Park, Fishing Derbies, Trail Rides, The Brew Fest, The North Valley High School Rodeo—all add to the quality of life in Molalla.
Hubbard is a small community in the Willamette Valley, and if you didn’t know it was there, you might miss it driving along Highway 99E. However,PDX shuttle airport know it has an interesting history and has been a premier agricultural region since its establishment. The town was named for Charles Hubbard, a Kentucky native, who crossed the plains to Oregon by ox team in 1847. Soon after the Charles Hubbard family arrived in Oregon, they rented a squatter’s cabin on the ridge between the Pudding River and Ferrier Creek (also called “Deer Creek” and now known as Mill Creek). That cabin was owned by Thomas Hunt, who left the area on a gold-seeking expedition. He never returned. Subsequently, Charles Hubbard acquired 400 acres of land in and around the present city.PDX shuttle airport the town was named for him because he offered 10 acres of land as an inducement for the Oregon-California railroad, which was under construction from 1868-78. The railroad accepted the offer and was built through Hubbard in late 1871 right after the first store was built in 1870 by Aaron B. Gleason. The Oregon Legislature voted to grant Hubbard a charter and the right to incorporate in February, 1891. As with many towns, the arrival of the railroad spurred development, and Hubbard grew to a population of 500 by 1910.
There were 958 households of which 49.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.9% were married couples living together, 13.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 21.1% were non-families. 15.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.31 and the average family size was 3.71.
The median age in the city was 30.1 years. 33.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 30.6% were from 25 to 44; 20.1% were from 45 to 64; and 6.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.3% male and 49.7% female.
Gresham is a welcoming community of hard-working people where tradition and heritage meet innovation and opportunity in Oregon’s fourth largest city.
Located just minutes from iconic Mount Hood, Multnomah Falls and the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, the city of Portland, and Portland International Airport, Gresham’s location is ideal for families and businesses wanting to start something new and grow.
Gresham’s residents care deeply about our heritage as a homestead and agricultural community, and are committed to building a vibrant future. Today, Gresham is a dynamic, innovative and rapidly growing city with a mutual desire and drive to thrive. In Gresham, we are family.
The Gresham Historical Society was founded in 1976 by a group of volunteers dedicated to preserving the history of Gresham and the surrounding areas. We are a nonprofit organization, funded by donations and staffed primarily by volunteers. Currently, our membership is 300 strong, comprised of individuals and businesses.
In 1990, the Gresham Historical Society took over the old Carnegie Library on Main Avenue. Built in 1913 with a grant from Andrew Carnegie, our building served as Gresham’s public library for over seventy years. Renovations in 2012 restored the old library to its original appearance, and it looks today much as it did a century ago.
The City maintains a list of sites and structures that have achieved the honor of being placed on Gresham’s Historic and Cultural Landmarks List. These properties have retained their historic character, serve as a past record of a certain time, place and use, and are often associated with a historical figure, event, building designer or architectural style.
Gresham’s most recent inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places in June 2016 was prepared by the Historic Resources Subcommittee.
Charles Hunter Hamlin built this unique Gothic Revival home in 1888. Hamlin was the engineer on the first steam ship to navigate up the Willamette River through the Willamette Falls Locks in 1878. The Reverend Jonas Johnson, a leader in Gresham’s Swedish immigrant farm community, purchased the home in 1903.
The Zimmerman House has history back to the pioneer resettlement in Oregon Territory. In 1869, Jacob Zimmerman, a German immigrant, purchased a 320-acre donation land claim and built this house in 1874. One of the first pioneer families in the Gresham/Fairview area, the Zimmerman family lived in this home until 1992. Now a museum, the home continues to tell the Zimmerman’s story.
The lure of land enticed settlers to what would later be known as Gresham. Before 1884, Gresham was known to many as Camp Ground or Powell’s Valley, after one of the first pioneer families that settled in the area.
Donahue and Kelly Logging Co., Powell Valley Road circa 1890. Logging was an integral part of the early local economy. Cutting was done by hand, using oxen and horses to transport logs to local sawmills.
Troutdale is a community with a rich historic past. The area at the confluence of the Sandy and Columbia Rivers was “discovered” in the autumn of 1792 by Lt. Broughton and his men. The Crew was traveling aboard a British vessel under command of Captain George Vancouver who was aboard another vessel. They were ascending the Columbia River, when they reached a point just east of the mouth of the Sandy River. This point, immediately across the Sandy River from Troutdale, was named Broughton’s Bluff, many years later. Mount Hood, however, was seen and named on this location at that time.
The earliest settlers came in 1850 and 1851. Early donation land claims were filed by John Douglass, D.F. Buxton, Benjamin Hall, Stott and Hicklin. Family records credit David F. Buxton as Troutdale’s true founder. He filed a donation land claim in 1853 in the center of the present city of Troutdale. Buxton developed the town’s first primitive water system, which was in use until the 1960’s. He died in Troutdale in 1910.
PDX shuttle airport say However, it was Captain John Harlow, a former sea captain from Maine and successful Portland businessman, who conceived a plan for the town and made it happen. In 1872 he purchased part of Buxton’s land claim to build his country home. Because he raised trout in ponds on his farm, he called his farm “Troutdale.” He convinced the railroad to build a depot at the site of his farm so he could ship his produce. On November 20th in 1882, Troutdale had a rail line; an important step in becoming a bonafide town.
After Harlow’s death in 1883, Celestia, his widow, began platting a town with blocks and streets. Much of the city was built in 1890 and 1891. The first edition of Troutdale’s newspaper announced the opening of Aaron Fox’s new store, a restaurant, and included ads for a hardware store, surgeon, notary public and blacksmith.
The town’s major industry was the American Dressed Meat Company, later sold to become Portland’s Swift and Company. Other industries that rose were a lumber mill, a hotel and a distillery. The distillery burned in what was reported as a “bright blue flame” in the 1890’s.
Aaron Fox was instrumental in incorporating the City in 1907 and became its first mayor. It had become a town of saloons, and incorporation arose from the necessity to exercise some controls over them. Huge licensing fees precluded the need for city taxes.
In 1907, a disastrous fire swept through the city burning the 1890’s buildings. A church built on a hillside two blocks from the business district was one of the few 1890’s buildings that survived. Some homes also survived.
In 1914, two years after women got to vote in Oregon, Clara Latourell Larsson become mayor of Troutdale and one of Oregon’s earliest women mayors.
The Columbia River Highway was built and ran through Troutdale in 1916. Enterprising residents opened businesses, restaurants, tea rooms, hot dog stands and dance pavilions to feed and entertain the travelers.
In 1924, Laura Harlow, daughter-in-law of Captain John Harlow was elected Mayor of the city.
In 1925, a second fire mostly destroyed the business district. This fire is believed to have resulted from an explosion of a still in the garage of John Larsson, the former mayor’s husband. The Tiller Hotel and Helming’s Saloon, both built after the first 1907 fire, are two of the pre-1925 buildings left in the business district today.
John Harlow’s original house was torn down in the 1920’s. The only original building remaining was the home of his son, Fred, built in 1900 on the original farm site. That building is now the Harlow House Museum of the Troutdale Historical Society. The original rail depot burned in 1907 and was replaced by a second depot that is now the Rail Museum. It was moved from its original location to its present site in 1979.
In the 1920’s, Troutdale claimed the title of the “Celery Capital of the World” as a result of prize winning celery grown here. But farmers also grew wonderful produce and gladiola bulbs… grown in the area’s fertile, sandy soil and shipped all over the nation by rail.
The Troutdale City Hall was completed in 1923. The original wood dance floor is now covered by city offices. The dances were an important part of Troutdale’s social life for years.
Construction of an aluminum plant was a boon to the economy in the mid 1940’s, but eventually its emissions ended the gladiola industry and damaged other crops. Completion of Interstate 84 in the 1950’s pulled traffic off the Columbia River Highway and away from Troutdale. The City remained fairly quiet during the 1950’s.
Suddenly in the 1960’s, Portland suburbanites discovered Troutdale and the City built its first subdivision and made plans for a new sewage treatment plant. Under the guidance of Mayor Glenn Otto, who later became a state senator and statewide leader, the city boundaries expanded from 320 to more than 2000 acres.
There were 5,671 households of which 40.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.7% were married couples living together, 12.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 25.8% were non-families. 18.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.20.
The median age in the city was 34 years. 27.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 9.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.9% were from 25 to 44; 27.1% were from 45 to 64; and 7.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.0% male and 51.0% female.