The Clackamas Indians once occupied the land that later became Lake Oswego. but diseases transmitted by European explorers and traders killed most of the natives. Before the influx of non-native people via the Oregon Trail, the area between the Willamette River and Tualatin River had a scattering of early pioneer homesteads and farms.
The Lake Oswego Transportation System includes more than 178 miles of streets, 26 traffic signals, 12.0 miles of pedestrian pathways, and shared ownership of the Jefferson Street Rail Line within the city limits. The streets are classified as major and minor arterials, major collectors, neighborhood collectors, and local residential streets and traffic counts are available on line, all of them are very familiars for PDX shuttle airport driver because we have more than 50 customer in month that use Lake Oswego to pdx shuttle .
Traffic management is a function of the City Public Works, Engineering Department. Functions include the Willamette Shore Trolley, Pathways, assisting the Transportation Advisory Board, the Traffic Counts Program, as well as general transportation related issues.
The City’s Transportation System Plan (TSP) provides a plan for the development of the City’s transportation infrastructure. Specific projects are further developed as resources become available. The TSP includes elements for roadways, bike, pedestrian, transit and rail related improvements.
Concerns, comments and questions regarding traffic related matters can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a technical question a staff person will respond. Make sure to include your contact information if you would like a response. For more information, please contact the Engineering Division at 503-635-0270. You may contact others in the division by locating them in our staff directory.
Local and regional events held in the Portland Metro Region will be posted here as a courtesy for public information only. The listing of events or links to websites do not imply endorsement by the City of Lake Oswego. Specific questions regarding any content should be directed to the appropriate organization.
Lake Oswego is one of the most affluent suburbs of Portland. In 2000, the city had a median household income of $71,597, up from $57,499 in 1990. Additionally, as in the rest of the Portland metropolitan area, house prices have increased rapidly (as of June 2006). The median value in 2000 was $296,200, over twice what it was in 1990 ($142,600)
The Neighborhood Traffic Management Program (NTMP) was established in 1993 to give citizens and neighborhoods greater participation in decisions regarding traffic management on neighborhood collectors and local residential streets in order to promote the safety and livability of residential neighborhoods such as Beaverton, Tigard that exist a lot of shuttle company like PDX shuttle airport
These objectives have been partially met by installing traffic management devices such as speed bumps, traffic circles, and diverters on local streets. To date, approximately 50 speed bumps, one diverter, one traffic circle, and one street closure have been utilized to calm neighborhood traffic.
The eight-member Transportation Advisory Board oversees the program.
Other tools the City uses include selective police enforcement and education. The education component was developed to increase citizen involvement in addressing speeding concerns in their neighborhoods. The program, which commenced in March of 1997, contains two main elements: Neighborhood Speed Watch and placement of LOPD’s Speed Reader.
Eugene is named after its founder, Eugene Franklin Skinner. Until 1889, it was named Eugene City. In 1846, Skinner erected the first cabin in the area. It was used as a trading post and was registered as an official post office on January 8, 1850. At this time the settlement was known as Skinner’s Mud hole. It was relocated in 1853 and named Eugene City, but was not formally incorporated as a city until 1862. Skinner later ran a ferry service across the Willamette River where the Ferry Street Bridge now stands.
The first major educational institution in the area was Columbia College, founded a few years earlier than the University of Oregon. It fell victim to two major fires in four years, and after the second fire, the college decided not to rebuild again. The part of south Eugene known as College Hill was the former location of Columbia College. There is no college there today. 100 years later Eugene to PDX shuttlecreated for help the student.
The town raised the initial funding to start a public university, which later became the University of Oregon, with the hope of turning the small town into a center of learning. In 1872, the Legislative Assembly passed a bill creating the University of Oregon as a state institution. Eugene bested the nearby town of Albany in the competition for the state university. In 1873, community member J.H.D. Henderson donated the hilltop land for the campus, overlooking the city.
The university first opened in 1876 with the regents electing the first faculty and naming John Wesley Johnson as president. The first students registered on October 16, 1876. The first building was completed in 1877; it was named Deady Hall in honor of the first Board of Regents President and community leader Judge Matthew P. Deady. The city’s name was shortened from Eugene City to Eugene in 1889.
Eugene grew rapidly throughout most of the twentieth century, with the exception being the early 1980s when a downturn in the timber industry caused high unemployment. By 1985, the industry had recovered and Eugene began to attract more high-tech industries.
There are six Roman Catholic parishes in Eugene as well: St. Mary Catholic Church, St. Jude Catholic Church, St. Mark Catholic Church, St. Peter Catholic Church, St. Paul Catholic Church, and St. Thomas More Catholic Church.
Eugene also has a Ukrainian Catholic Church named Nativity of the Mother of God
There is a mainline Protestant contingency in the city as well—such as the largest of the Lutheran Churches, Central Lutheran near the U of O Campus and the EpiscopalChurch of the Resurrection.
The Eugene area has a sizeable LDS Church presence, with three stakes, consisting of 23 congregations (wards and branches). The Portland Oregon Temple is the nearest temple.
The greater Eugene-Springfield area also has a sizable Jehovah’s Witnesses presence with twelve Kingdom Halls, several having multiple congregations in one Kingdom Hall.
The ReconstructionistTemple Beth Israel is Eugene’s largest Jewish congregation. It was also, for many decades, Eugene’s only synagogue, until Orthodox members broke away in 1992 and formed “Congregation Ahavas Torah”.
Eugene has a community of some 140 Sikhs, who have established a Sikh temple.
The 340-member congregation of the Unitarian Universalist Church in Eugene (UUCE) purchased the former Eugene Scottish Rite Temple in May 2010, renovated it, and began services there in September 2012.
Saraha Nyingma Buddhist Temple in Eugene opened in 2012 in the former site of the Unitarian Universalist Church.
Cycling is popular in Eugene and many people commute via bicycle. Summertime events and festivals frequently have bike parking “corrals” that many times are filled to capacity by three hundred or more bikes. Many people commute to work by bicycle every month of the year. Numerous bike shops provide the finest rain gear products, running lights and everything a biker needs to ride and stay comfortable in the damp, misty climate. Bike trails take commuting and recreational bikers along the Willamette River past a scenic rose garden, along Amazon Creek, through the downtown, and through the University of Oregon campus.
In 2009, the League of American Bicyclists cited Eugene as 1 of 10 “Gold-level” cities in the U.S. because of its “remarkable commitments to bicycling.” In 2010, Bicycling magazine named Eugene the 5th most bike-friendly city in America. The U.S. Census Bureau’s annual American Community Survey reported that Eugene had a bicycle commuting mode share of 7.3% in 2011, the fifth highest percentage nationwide among U.S. cities with 65,000 people or more, and 13 times higher than the national average of 0.56%.
The 1908 Amtrak depot downtown was restored in 2004; it is the southern terminus for two daily runs of the Amtrak Cascades, and a stop along the route in each direction for the daily Coast Starlight.
Highways traveling within and through Eugene include:
Interstate 5: Interstate 5 forms much of the eastern city limit, acting as an effective, though unofficial boundary between Eugene and Springfield. To the north, I-5 leads to the Willamette Valley and Portland. To the south, I-5 leads to Roseburg, Medford, and the southwestern portion of the state. In full, Interstate 5 continues north to the Canadian Border at Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia and extends south to the Mexican border at Tijuana and San Diego.
Officer Chris Kilcullen Memorial Highway: Oregon Route 126 is routed along the Eugene-Springfield Highway, a limited-access freeway. The Eugene portion of this highway begins at an interchange with Interstate 5 and ends two miles (3 km) west at a freeway terminus. This portion of Oregon Route 126 is also signed Interstate 105, a spur route of Interstate 5. Oregon Route 126 continues west, a portion shared with Oregon Route 99, and continues west to Florence. Eastward, Oregon Route 126 crosses the Cascades and leads to central and eastern Oregon.
Randy Papé Beltline: Beltline is a limited-access freeway which runs along the northern and western edges of incorporated Eugene.
Delta Highway: The Delta Highway forms a connector of less than 2 miles (3.2 km) between Interstate 105 and Beltline Highway.
Oregon Route 99: Oregon Route 99 forks off Interstate 5 south of Eugene, and forms a major surface artery in Eugene. It continues north into the Willamette valley, parallel to I-5. It is sometimes called the “scenic route” since it has a great view of the Coast Range and also stretches through many scenic farmlands of the Willamette Valley.
Eugene is the home of Oregon’s largest publicly owned water and power utility, the Eugene Water & Electric Board (EWEB). EWEB got its start in the first decade of the 20th century, after an epidemic of typhoid found in the groundwater supply. The City of Eugene condemned Eugene’s private water utility and began treating river water (first the Willamette; later the McKenzie) for domestic use. EWEB got into the electric business when power was needed for the water pumps. Excess electricity generated by the EWEB’s hydropower plants was used for street lighting.